A number of faculty have reported problems connecting to Brightspace when using the D2L Assignment Grader app for iPad and Android. The problem is related to our upgrade from Springboard to Brightspace and prevents the app from authenticating correctly to Brightspace. This issue has put some users into an endless loop of the app trying to authenticate and presenting an error message to the user.
First, Kill the Endless Loop
If your app is stuck in the endless loop trying to authenticate, you will need to “force-quit” the app. On an iPad, you can double-press the home button to enter the app switcher. Then, swipe the thumbnail for the Grader app up, and off the screen. That will cause the app to start from a fresh state the next time you launch it.
For additional information, reference this Apple support document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330
On an Android tablet, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap on the Application Manager
- Scroll down to the Downloaded list until you find the Grader app. Tap on the app name.
- Tap Force Stop to close the application.
Screenshots of the process can be found here: https://mobileroadie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200091926-How-To-Force-Quit-Android-Apps
Second, Setup a New Connection to Brightspace
Now that your app is no longer in an endless loop, you’ll need to create a new connection to Brightspace using the steps below.
1. If you are logged into Brightspace and see Assignment Folders, log out of the system by tapping on the gear icon at the top-right and then choosing Logout.
2. Log back in using the EduDentity option. If you don’t have an EduDentity account, we recommend creating one so that you can take full advantage of the app.
3. Before tapping on a linked account to continue logging in, you will first need to create a new one. Look closely at your existing account and you will probably notice that while the name may say brightspace.uakron.edu, the URL will probably still say springboard.uakron.edu. This is where the error comes from. Tap on the Add Linked Account text at the bottom of your list of linked accounts.
4. On the next screen, enter https://brightspace.uakron.edu as your D2L courses web address. Click connect.
5. With Brightspace connected, authenticate using your UANet ID and password. Your Assignment folders should load as expected.
Still Having Trouble?
If you are still having trouble, contact the IT Help Desk at 330-972-6888. When calling, be sure to stay on the line instead of selecting the option for Brightspace Support. You can also email email@example.com.