Now would be a good time to start thinking about your 2017 resolutions. Will 2017 be the year that you finally understand how to use Intelligent Agents in Springboard? Or, will you start scheduling meetings in WebEx so you are not crossing campus through the ice & snow when it’s -8 degrees? We have a full range of training and professional development opportunities on the schedule for January including:
- Springboard introduction for faculty, offered Jan. 9 from 2-4, will cover basic navigation, activating your course, adding a news item, adding content, setting up a basic grade book and adding an assignment folder.
- Springboard intermediate training for faculty, offered Jan. 12 from 2-4, will include setting up a basic quiz, creating and managing discussions, modifying the navigation and homepage, and monitoring student progress.
- WebEx Training for Faculty and Staff, offered Jan. 12 from 10-12. This hands-on training session will be mainly focused on how faculty can utilize the tool for teaching synchronously, however staff can use many of the same features to schedule virtual meetings.
- Best Practices for Teaching Online (online: Jan 9 – Jan 18): During this course you will learn strategies for managing your time in an online course, strategies for building community, tips for hosting live sessions in WebEx, grading strategies, and tips for how to make teaching online enjoyable. You will also have access to video and step-by-step tutorials for all of the tools you will need to know how to use to teach online. This course has been designed to give you a mini experience as an online student in case you have never taken an online course yourself. It is packed full of advice from experienced UA faculty who have taught online and were willing to record their experiences. This is an online course hosted in Springboard.
- Spring Course Tune-Ups, offered Jan. 11 from 9-1 and Jan. 19 from 12-4, will provide an opportunity to work one-on-one with an instructional designer or multimedia developer to tweak your course for spring. Design and Development Services will be there to assist you with many of the semester start-up tasks. We are requesting that faculty members register for this open lab so we know you’re coming. You are welcome to stay for as little or as long as you like during our scheduled hours.
- Springboard Advanced Training for Faculty, offered Jan. 26 from 10-12, will cover advanced Springboard topics including release conditions, creating pages with embedded media, creating and using groups, intelligent agents, rubrics, checklists, the Manage Dates tool, and creating widgets.
To register for any of these sessions, please sign up here: https://share.uakron.edu/itl_seminars/index.php
We will be announcing some new advanced topics training sessions soon. Keep an eye on the ITL calendar (linked above) for all the latest info.