Anne Barry Flottman

Office: For Judge of the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division
Term Beginning 7/1/2021

Residence: Cincinnati

Email: FlottmanforJudge@gmail.com

Website: www.FlottmanForJudge.com

Social Media: www.facebook.com/pg/Anne4Judge; @FlottmanAnne (Twitter)

Occupation: Magistrate

Education:  B.A. University of Kentucky, M.A. Xavier University, J.D. University of Cincinnati College of Law

Work Experience: Domestic Relations Court Magistrate, February 2014- present; Attorney/Partner Wood and Lamping LLP, November 2007- February 2014; Law Office of Anne B. Flottman, November 2001-November 2007.

Family: Married since 1981 to Thomas R. Flottman; we have three wonderful sons; two lovely, smart and patient daughters-in-law; one perfect grandson, and one beloved grand-dog.

Affiliations: Immigration and Refugee Law Center Volunteer, Board Member of Ohio Chapter of Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Ohio Association of Magistrates, Ohio Bar Association, Ohio Women’s Bar Association, former member (while in practice) of Cincinnati Academy of Collaborative Law Professionals, former member of Xavier University President’s Advisory Council.

Endorsements: Cincinnati Federation of Teachers; Cincinnati Women’s Political Caucus; AFL/CIO; IBEW Local 212; AFSCME; Equality Cincinnati; Bold New Democracy; Thaddeus Hoffmeister, City of Wyoming Mayor; UCFW Local 75; Hamilton County Democratic Party

Bar Association Ratings: 

I have been a Domestic Relations Court Magistrate since February 2014. I have presided over many cases, issuing over a thousand decisions on every aspect of domestic relations: property division, child support, spousal support, child custody, parenting time allocation, grandparents’ rights, domestic violence, interstate support and custody jurisdiction, support for children with disabilities, and prenuptial agreements. I have also mediated dozens of cases and helped parents find resolutions on such issues as custody, parenting time schedules, extracurricular activities, discipline, and school enrollment.

As an attorney, I devoted my practice to family law matters. I have extensive experience resolving Domestic Relations cases in Hamilton, Warren, and Clermont counties through litigation, mediation, and Collaborative Law. In 2011, I achieved the designation of Certified Family Law Specialist through the Ohio State Bar Association. (As a magistrate, I no longer maintain that designation because it’s designed for practicing attorneys.) I also served the court often as a Guardian ad Litem for children whose parents were involved in parenting disputes, and made recommendations to the court about the best situation for the children. I have litigated many cases on all aspects of domestic relations law, including child custody, grandparents’ rights, property division, support, prenuptial agreements, relocation, jurisdiction, and domestic violence. Because of my litigation skill and experience, I am qualified to be a judge because I understand fully all the rules and procedures involved in court cases. Additionally, because I represented hundreds and hundreds of people going through Domestic Relations Court, I understand the complicated emotions of people involved in family law cases. They are confronting an incredible change and an uncertain future: When will I see my children? Will I have enough money after I pay support to get by? What if the children have to change schools? Where can I afford to live? I helped people from all walks of life through these difficult transitions in their families. This broad experience as an attorney qualifies me to be a judge because I know it’s critical to address people’s concerns as quickly as possible, to treat them with respect and understanding, and to make well-informed decisions that are well-grounded in Ohio law. Finally, I am a wife, mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, and friend. I’ve seen in some of the people close to me the issues that break down marriages – unaddressed mental health, financial problems, addictions. I know rarely is one person to blame for a family’s problems. I know no one takes the process of divorce lightly. I know divorce affects not only the family, but their extended families, their friends, the children’s teachers, the neighbors, the coworkers. I am qualified to be a judge because I know how to listen and be respectful of the spouses and parents who find themselves before me.

I’ve devoted my entire legal career to family law/domestic relations. I am running for Domestic Relations Court Judge because my experience, my expertise and my empathy qualify me for this judicial position. When the people of Hamilton County appear before a judge who is going to make life-changing decisions that have lifelong effects on everyone involved, especially the children, those people deserve a judge who understands their concerns, understands the law, and knows how to decide cases correctly. As an attorney in Domestic Relations Court, I helped hundreds of people through the difficult transitions as they ended one family structure and began another. I understand the grief, anxiety, and other strong emotions people experience in these situations. I know it’s critically important for them to get clear, well-reasoned direction from the court as soon as possible. Having served as a magistrate for the past six years in Warren County Domestic Relations Court, I know that being on the bench puts me in the best possible position to help families and children. I am able to fashion workable resolutions for parents who dispute parenting time schedules, school choice, discipline, and other parenting concerns. I am able to divide property fairly and to make reasonable, workable spousal and child support awards. I write clear, well-reasoned decisions grounded in Ohio law. Becoming a judge will give me the opportunity to serve Hamilton County. Domestic Relations Court is extremely important because it so deeply affects people’s lives. The people of Hamilton County deserve a judge with a proven track record of excellent decisions and dedication to families. I hope by sharing these facts with the voters of Hamilton County that they’ll give me the chance to serve them in this important role.