David Brannon

Office: For Judge of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas, Probate Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Centerville

Email: davidbrannon@branlaw.com

Website: https://www.brannonforjudge.com/

Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/BrannonforJudge/

Occupation: Attorney

Education: J.D. from the University of Dayton School of Law; B.S. in Political Science from Miami University; B.S. in Public Administration from Miami University

Work Experience: Private practice since November of 2005; Ohio State Bar Association Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law (2015-present), https://www.ohiobar.org/globalassets/cle-and-certification/certification/jan-2020/01_27-eptp-spec.pdf

Family: Married to Jill Brannon (39); children are: Kate Brannon (12); Brooke Brannon (10); Charlotte (7)

Affiliations: Ohio Bar Association, Member (2006-present); Dayton Bar Association, Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section Chair (2013-present); Dayton Bar Association, Member (2006-present); University of Dayton School of Law Alumni Association, Secretary; Trustee (2007-present); Delta Chi Alumni Board of Trustees and Housing Corporation, Legal Advisor and Housing Corporation President (2011-present)

Endorsements: Dayton Right to Life, https://www.daytonlife.org/Advocacy/elections.php

Bar Association Ratings: 

0 years as an active Judge.

I have been certified as an expert in probate law by the Ohio State Bar Association since 2015, and am the only candidate with such distinction. Since 2005, I have handled hundreds of probate cases in Montgomery County and other probate courts across Ohio. I have also litigated other matters in numerous other trial and appellate courts, all the way through the Ohio Supreme Court and United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

I believe actual practice experience as a probate attorney is vital before taking the bench. Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. stated, “The life of the law has not been logic: it has been experience.” I have that real world practice experience.

Besides practicing probate law, I have served as: trustee of special needs trusts, living trusts, and irrevocable trusts; guardian of minor and incompetent estates and persons; executor and administrator over estates; guardian ad litem and as power of attorney for both health care and financial decisions of others. Anyone who has served in any of those functions understands the difficulties and real world impact to families when serving in those roles.

A judge must understand that judicial economy, fairness and access to the court are pivotal, as to protect the most vulnerable people in our community. My degrees from Miami University, including a B.S. in public administration, will provide a foundation to successfully perform any administrative functions of the Court. Moreover, I have run several businesses and an serving as a partner at my law firm. I understand budgets, resources and deadlines.

Finally, my active community service shows that I am willing to serve the public with no expectation of personal gain. I have served as Section Chair of the Dayton Bar Association’s Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Section since 2013. I have actively served the University of Dayton School of Law Alumni Board since 2007, including executive functions. I have provided hours of pro bono services through the Volunteer Lawyer’s Project and other legal initiatives. I have also written and lectured on numerous probate topics to attorneys and the public, while providing CLE credits to lawyers. My volunteer record shows I am consistent and current, and will continue serving the community in that fashion.

I have spent my legal career advocating for families before the Court and outside of the courthouse. I fully understand the difficult decisions families face in the day-to-day oversight of loved ones suffering from age or health-related diseases, mental health and/or drug abuse. I have seen the devastating consequences of non-responsive or apathetic courts when not moving cases forward. I have also witnessed estate and guardianship cases linger, with no excuse for delay, which is financially and emotionally harmful to families. The Court must render speedy and fair decisions. I have also discussed implementing administrative programs to allow better access to the Court.

My record shows I am a diligent worker and care about families. I have fought hard for my clients and justice, and will continue to do so as Probate Court Judge. I am not a political appointee, and I will treat all people that come before me equally and objectively. Probate Court is truly a governmental entity that should serve families from birth through death.