Categories
Uncategorized

Jennifer McElfresh

Office: For Judge of the Butler County Court of Common Pleas, General Division

Term Beginning 1/1/2021

Residence: Fairfield

Email: 

Website: 

Social Media: 

Occupation: Judge

Education:  J.D., University of Cincinnati; B.A. with Honors, Certificate in Business Spanish, University of Cincinnati

Work Experience: 
Judge, Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division October, 2013-present (Administrative Judge, November, 2016-December, 2018) (Presiding Judge Felony Nonsupport Specialized Docket, October, 2014-Present); Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, Butler County Prosecutor’s Office, April, 1998-October, 2013 (Division Chief, Child Assault Division, August, 2000-October, 2013)

Family: Married with one child

Affiliations: Ohio Criminal Sentencing Commission Member; Ohio Common Pleas Judges Association Member; Ohio Judicial Conference Public Policy and Community Outreach Committee Member; Ohio Judicial Conference Criminal Law and Procedure Committee Member; Ohio Judicial Conference Judicial Ethics, Professionalism, and Diversity Committee Member; Court Security Committee, Past Member; Butler County Criminal Justice Advisory Board Member; Butler County Bar Association Criminal Law Committee Member; Butler County Bar Association Bar Applications Committee Member; Butler County Bar Association Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee Member; Butler County Bar Association Notary Committee Chairperson; Ohio State Bar Association Member; Fraternal Order of Police Member; Ohio Justice Alliance for Community Corrections Member; Ohio High School Mock Trial Judge; American Mock Trial Association Judge; Bunker Hill Haven for Boys Board Member; Miami Valley Health Services Board Member; Lindenwald Kiwanis of Fairfield/Hamilton Member; Animal Adoption Foundation Volunteer

Endorsements: Butler County Republican Party

Bar Association Ratings: 

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)
Judge, Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division, October, 2013-present. Elected by fellow judges to serve as Administrative Judge of the Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division, November, 2016-December, 2018. In addition to regular duties, presided over the Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division’s Felony Nonsupport Court from October, 2014-present.

Prior to taking the bench in 2013, I served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for many years. As an Assistant Prosecutor, I represented various county agencies and prosecuted cases in the Butler County Juvenile Court and the General Division of the Butler County Common Pleas Court. For thirteen years I was a trial prosecutor in the Child Assault Division of the Prosecutor’s Office. I prosecuted child homicide, physical abuse, and sexual abuse cases in the General Division of the Butler County Common Pleas Court. In 2011, I became the Division Chief of the Child Assault Division of the Prosecutor’s Office. I was honored to receive a Meritorious Service Award from the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association in 2012. My experience as a trial lawyer on numerous, serious felony cases in the very court where I currently serve as a judge uniquely prepared me to become a trial judge. Judges must be competent to rule on evidentiary and procedural issues during a trial. As a trial lawyer, I became experienced with the rules which govern trials and I am now able to use that knowledge and experience to make the necessary rulings as a trial judge. Moreover, judges must be fair and impartial. Prosecutors have an ethical obligation to seek the truth. My experience in focusing on the truth as an assistant prosecutor conditioned me to sit as a fair and impartial judge.

I am running for reelection to my current seat on the General Division of the Butler County Common Pleas Court bench because my experience and demeanor qualify me to be a fair and impartial judge. Judges have the responsibility to apply the law fairly and impartially. In addition to knowing the law, we must be patient with and courteous to those who come in front of us. Every case is important and every litigant and attorney deserves to be treated with respect and to feel that he or she has been treated fairly. I endeavor to handle every case with this mindset. It has been an honor to serve the people of Butler County as a judge for more than six years. I appreciate their support and trust.