John A. Wells

Office: For Judge of the Morgan County Court of Common Pleas, General/Domestic Relations/Probate/Juvenile Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: McConnelsville

Email: john@johnwellsllc.com

Website: 

Social Media: 

Occupation: Attorney

Education: 
J.D. from The Ohio State University

Work Experience: General practice attorney since 1994 and currently an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney

Family: Married with two step-children and two granddaughters

Affiliations: Morgan Community Fund/Ohio State Bar Association/Morgan County Bar Association/Christian

Endorsements: 

Bar Association Ratings: 

During my two terms as Mayor of the Village of McConnelsville (2004-2011), I presided over misdemeanor, traffic, and parking enforcement cases in the McConnelsville Mayor’s Court.

I have worked in Morgan County as a lawyer for the past 26 years. As an attorney I have handled all the types of cases that will be heard by the next Common Pleas Judge including civil, criminal, juvenile and probate matters. For many years I was a successful criminal defense lawyer, winning the majority of the cases I tried. For the past 5 years, I have served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney primarily handling felony cases. I have successfully prosecuted assaults, rapes, drug dealing and a bank robbery. I am the only candidate running for Judge with any significant felony prosecution experience. In addition, I currently serve as legal counsel for the Villages of Chesterhill and Malta.

In the past, I also represented both McConnelsville and Stockport. My private law practice has evolved over the years. Early on I handled a lot of juvenile, criminal and divorce cases. Today most of my work is real estate, oil and gas, estates, adoptions, guardianships, wills and general advice. I have experience with all the matters that your next Common Pleas job must oversee. Further, since 1994 I have been a leader and volunteer in the community with a track record of success.

I have served as President of the Chamber of Commerce, Mayor of McConnelsville, Board member of the Community Improvement Corporation, and a founder and director of the Morgan Community Fund. I served as a youth soccer coach for ten plus years. I conceived, designed and spearheaded the construction of the Kiwanis-Jaycee Community Park. I believe these projects and leadership positions indicate that I can handle the administrative functions of the Court, that I have a broad understanding of the community and that I am a proven decision maker.

The Court is the next best place for me to serve the community and I look forward to the opportunity. I believe the purpose of government is to secure our God given rights. Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ¦ that to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men.” As Judge it will be my duty to protect your rights to life, liberty and property as well as those specific rights set forth in the Constitution. I intend to fulfill that duty. A Judge needs to be fair and impartial. I am slow to anger, plain speaking, and compassionate but at the same time I am capable of being firm and consistent. I believe I have the temperament and disposition to remain calm in stressful situations and to render evenhanded and impartial rulings. Being your Judge will be the honor of my life but it also will be the greatest burden I have ever accepted. I do not take it lightly. Heart wrenching cases will come before me. I will render life altering decisions. Custody, divorce, child abuse are the type of cases that must be dealt with daily. Each case has the potential of keeping one up all night. You deserve and need a Judge who will look at each case with the same focus and seriousness as the participants.