Categories
Uncategorized

Kevin W. Dunn

Office: For Judge of the Medina County Court of Common Pleas, Probate/Juvenile Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Westfield Center

Email: kdmedinagop@gmail.com

Website: http://www.reelectjudgedunn.com

Social Media: 

Occupation: Judge, Medina County Court of Common Pleas, Probate/Juvenile Division

Education: J.D. University of Akron School of Law, B.A. Miami University

Work Experience: Judge 2013 to present, Private Practice of Law 1991 to 2013, Medina City Municipal Prosecutor 2012

Family: Married with two (2) children

Affiliations: Medina Rotary, Sons of American Legion, American Association of Judges, Ohio Academy of Juvenile Judges, Ohio Academy of Probate Judges, National College of Probate Judges, Ohio Supreme Court Committee on Technology, Ohio Supreme Court Committee on Court Administration, Ohio Judicial Advisory Group, Ohio State Bar Association, Medina County Bar Association, Sacred Heart Church Eucharistic minister.

Endorsements: 

Bar Association Ratings: 

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)
Medina County Court of Common Pleas, Probate/Juvenile Division, appointed 2013, retained seat in 2014 election, (7 Years) Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District Court 2018 to present (2 years) Wadsworth Municipal Court Acting Judge 2000 to 2012 (10 years) Village of Burbank Mayor’s Court Magistrate 2000 to 2002 (2 years) Medina County Domestic Relations Court Part-time Magistrate 2000 Medina Municipal Court Acting Magistrate 1996-1998

For 22 years prior to taking the bench I maintained a diverse private practice, wherein I honed my craft. I diligently represented thousands of clients in the areas of Civil litigation, Criminal, Domestic Relations, Juvenile, Probate Law and Estate Planning. I managed several great employees. Collectively payroll was made via hard work, leveraging technology and maximizing productivity. My experience allowed me to fully comprehend the tasks of attorneys and the pressures parties involved by those involved in legal matters. I was born and raised in Medina, know the area intimately, and much of its populace. I was raised to care and treat with others with respect. I stood beside people struggling at their lowest ebb and acted as their voice. Based upon the experiences in my career I was certified by the Ohio Supreme Court to try Capital Cases (Death Penalty) and represented three such individuals. I had tried numerous other cases, both civil and criminal, before courts and juries throughout the State.

Later as a Prosecutor for the City of Medina I wore a different hat, but always focused on maintaining the integrity of the law. In each role I have experienced the anguish of victims, the fear of the court system, misunderstandings, and emotions that often overcome those who come to court. As an attorney I worked hand in hand with experts in numerous areas, learned medical and psychological terminology, read extensively, and understood the operation and standards of care in numerous fields. Serving on jury duty taught me to consciously strive to present issues with clarity and insight, both in one’s writings and in presentations. During my career as an attorney I wrote numerous pleadings and briefs on diverse areas of law and countless contracts, wills, trusts and the like.

Ultimately my best legal experience was working with and for people. I relished the role of a Guardian ad Litem, advocating to ensure that children’s best interests bee presented to the Court. I also was privileged to be appointed as Guardian over individuals who had been deemed incapable of tending to their affairs. Ensuring the safety of the most delicate and fragile individuals taught me humility. I learned it was easy to work hard for the people behind the pleadings, to ensure their needs were met and to pay it forward.

I am experienced, caring, and effective in providing positive community impact. Over seven years I have presided over this court which handled over 6500 Juvenile matters and over 6000 Probate matters. I personally heard every Abused/Neglected child case during the height of the Heroin epidemic. I ensured our children were kept safe. I required no training wheels when I assumed the position, nor do I duck “hard” cases. I have heard matters involving disputes over 100 million dollar estates/trusts one day and murder charges the next. I make tough decisions daily, am passionate about my job and I am devoted to my community and its people. Our Certified Drug Court has graduated 175 kids since 2015. Drug Court is critical to keep kids off drugs and to break the cycle of drug abuse into adulthood.

I plan to develop additional evidenced based practices such as our Teen Intervention 180. TI-180 has been recognized by the Ohio Supreme Court for excellence in diversion programming, by educating first offenders and parents to identify early warning signs of substance abuse/addiction. Obtaining further resources to assist in mental health diagnosis, including Multi Systemic Therapy, and Suicide prevention are continuing goals. Maintaining our Synergistic efforts with Schools and community partners will continue to be a priority. The Detention Center, operated under the Court is instrumental in identifying and changing attitudes of teens by implementing thoughtful and supportive correction programming. Continuing efforts to rehabilitate our kids as they re-enter the community is a significant challenge.

I will continue collaborating on programs like “Take Control” a Teen Driving Program. When the Court, Law Enforcement, family foundations and the Career Center combined efforts a 2.5 acre driving pad was constructed, where at no cost, under guidance from certified driving instructors, teen drivers may learn in classroom and on the track a skill set to drive safely.

I look to expand the Volunteer Guardian program to over 20 volunteers who can be trained to provide oversight and a human touch to those who may otherwise fall through the cracks. Having been the Administrative Judge over 60 employees, a practicing attorney throughout the State, and Presiding Judge of the Courthouse I am confident as to what features are needed in a new Courthouse facility what Case management and operational software ought be implemented. I am built for this job and respectfully seek your vote.