Rick Rodger

Office: For Judge of the Union County Court of Common Pleas, Probate/Juvenile Division

Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Marysville

Email: rrodger100@gmail.com

Website: www.RodgerforJudge.com

Social Media: Facebook @RickRodgerforJudge

Occupation: Senior Assistant Prosecuting Attorney

Education: Bachelor of Science: Brigham Young University; J.D. – Capital University

Work Experience: 
Private Practice of law since 1989; Assistant Prosecuting Attorney since 1992

Family: I have been married for 36 years and have two grown children, Adam and Steven

Affiliations: Union County Bar Association, Past President; Lion’s Club, Past President; member of the Masons; Active in my Church

Endorsements: Endorsed by David Phillips, Union County Prosecuting Attorney

Bar Association Ratings: 

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)I have not previously been a Judge. I have been an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney since 1992.

I began in private practice in 1989 and handled matters involving domestic relations, custody, estates, insurance defense, personal injury, real estate, and general business. I became a prosecutor in 1992 and have tried cases in all 3 courts in our county including felony and misdemeanors. I have had numerous criminal jury trials and have conducted numerous hearings involving abused, neglected and dependent children, permanent custody, delinquency and unruly matters. I have filed cases with the Probate Court as well including estates, mental illness hearings, guardianships and Adult Protective Services cases.

Over the years, I have gained invaluable experience in private practice while also representing the county agencies and various townships as a prosecutor. In this capacity, I have been involved with the county budget commission, contracts, insurance and many other issues. My experience provides a broad base of expertise which I will bring to the bench.

Over the 28 years that I have been a prosecutor, I have worked closely with Children’s Services, other social service and mental health agencies and law enforcement and have developed close working relationships with each of them. Through preparing and actually trying cases to the Court, I have been able to work closely with these entities as well as foster parents to develop the best approach to working with children and families.

My entire legal career has been in Union County, Ohio and I have consistently been involved with children and families. Juvenile Court has a goal of rehabilitation for the child and family and works closely with mental health and other counseling agencies to provide services to work with youth and families to address the issues which bring them to the Court. Part of rehabilitation is accountability and as the Senior Assistant Prosecutor, I have long advocated for holding individuals accountable for their actions. I will continue to do so as Judge.

As someone who has been in the private practice of law and one who has been an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, I bring a unique perspective to the position of Judge. I have successfully tried cases, both civil and criminal, in the Courts. I also have experience with administrative matters which will benefit the Court. As a Court, we must hold juveniles accountable for their actions so our community remains safe however, we must also look for ways we can help to rehabilitate the child and, in many cases, the parents.

I am seeking the office of Probate and Juvenile Judge as I want to continue making a difference in the lives of children and families. I want all children and families to be successful. Through holding children accountable while providing services to them and/or their families, the Court can make a difference in their lives for the better. Too many of our children have appeared in our Juvenile Court and then move on the Municipal Court and adult felony court. As Judge, I believe I can make a difference in reducing the recidivism that our County has observed over the years.

I am also an advocate of drug court and brought the idea of having a drug court to our County in 2005. I would like to continue the drug court program and will work with service providers and others to strengthen that program.

Over the years, I have been able to observe the Court and its processes and believe that I possess the necessary skills and experience to move the Court forward while also ensuring efficiency. Our County needs a strong individual leading the Court who is fiscally conservative and who has the individual and community in mind. Given my experience in private practice and as the Senior Assistant Prosecuting Attorney, I possess the necessary knowledge and ability to effectively operate the Court while working with individuals, mental health and social services agencies, and law enforcement to help our children succeed and strengthen families. As we strengthen the individual and family, our community benefits.