Timothy P. Cannon

Office: For Judge of the Eleventh District Court of Appeals
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Painesville

Email: 

Website: www.reelectjudgecannon.com

Social Media: Facebook Re-elect Judge Timothy Cannon

Occupation: Judge, 11th District Court of Appeals

Education: J.D. Cleveland Marshall College of Law 1980

Work Experience: 27 years as an attorney, 13th year on the 11th District Court of Appeals

Family: 
Married 40 years, 2 children and 2 grandchildren

Affiliations: 
Ohio Bar Assn., Lake, Geauga, Ashtabula, Trumbull and Portage County Bar Assns

Endorsements: 2014 Cleveland Plain Dealer, 2014 Youngstown Vindicator

Bar Association Ratings: 2020 Trumbull County Bar Assn” Preferred Candidate”. 2014 Lake County Bar Assn “Highly Recommended” (100% affirmative vote!) 2014 Portage County Bar Assn “Highly Recommended”

Judge, 11th District Court of Appeal, August 2007 to present. Visiting Justice, Ohio Supreme Court, 4 occasions since 2009. Administrative and Presiding Judge 5 different years. Currently, Presiding Judge 11th District Court of Appeals.

Prior to becoming judge, I had a very broad based law practice for 27 years. Since becoming judge in 2007, I have worked very hard to stay up to date on developments and changes in the law. The Lake County Bar Association, where I am known best, has been conducting a judicial poll since the 1970’s. At the time of completion of this form, they have not yet conducted their poll for 2020. However, in 2014, I was the first judge in the history of the poll to receive a 100% affirmative vote.

I have been asked on many occasions to lecture on a variety of topics. In fact, the Ohio Supreme Court has requested many times over the past few years that I come to help train the new appellate judges. I enjoy doing that, because each time I update my materials and prepare for the new judge orientation, I learn more about the current trends in the law.

I have been in this seat since August of 2007. I believe I become a better judge with each year that goes by. I have always had a love for the law. My father was an attorney for almost 50 years. We practiced law together for over 20 years. I understand the importance of the work we do, and the need for judges to resolve cases based on the law, and not some philosophical ideal of what we may individually believe.

I believe my willingness to lecture on topics related to our work, and the commitment to resolve cases in an efficient manner help in the quality of service we provide to litigants. I’ve been appointed to serve by assignment on the Ohio Supreme Court by three different Chief Justices. I believe my experience of serving in that capacity has helped my understanding of what should be expected of the courts of appeals.