Stark County Honor Court for Veterans looking for volunteers to become veteran mentors
Stark County Honor Court is a specialized veterans treatment court for veterans and active duty military personnel that have been charged with low-level, non-violent felonies. It is a year-long court program that partners with the Veterans Service Commission, the Veterans Administration and various legal and community organizations to assist veterans to successfully complete the program.
The mentoring program connects offenders to volunteer veterans from the local community. The combination of services provided by the court, supervision, and mentoring is intended to foster successful completion of the Honor Court program, and draw upon the codes of honor and service instilled in the offenders during their military service to our nation. The role of a veteran mentor is to assist the veteran in identifying his or her needs and to act as a support for the veteran at a time when the veteran may feel alone in a way that only another veteran can understand.
Requirements to be a Volunteer Veteran:
- Be an honorably discharged veteran of one of the branches of the U.S. Military
- Have a genuine concern for veterans involved with the legal system
- Be in good standing with the law
- Adhere to all Stark County Honor Court Program policies and procedures
- Commit to serving for a minimum of 12 months
- Commit to attending Honor Court Sessions every two—four weeks
- Complete the required training procedures and background check
- Participate in training sessions and adhere to an Oath of Office upon completion of training
To observe what this volunteer opportunity consists of, the Honor Court Team personally invites you to attend court sessions that take place every other week on Monday at 2:00 p.m., located at 110 Tuscarawas Street NW, Canton, Ohio 44702 (Corner of Tuscarawas Street and Market Avenue), Courtroom 203.
The next Mentor Training Session will be held Monday, June 2, 2014, 1:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Please register with Mr. Rowles in advance—(Lunch Provided)
For more information, contact Terry Rowles at 1.330.341.9889 or email@example.com
Stark County Honor Court—Reclaiming Honor, Dignity and Lives