What is the Substance Abuse Lecture? It is a one-hour lecture required for anyone who plans take the Ohio Bar at any time in the future. You may attend this lecture during any semester you are in law school, and we will verify your attendance with the Supreme Court of Ohio when you graduate.
You will definitely want to make this lecture, either to fulfill this requirement now for the rest of the time you are in law school, or as your final opportunity to attend a free lecture if you haven’t yet attended and plan to graduate in Spring 2017.
Spring 2017 Substance Abuse Lecture
Date: Wednesday, February 1
Time: 5:20 – 6:20 pm *Please note: ARRIVE EARLY to sign in – there will be no admittance after 5:20 pm.
Location: McDowell Law Center Room 160
Your attendance is verified by your signing the attendance sheet as you enter the lecture. Doors will open at 5:00 pm, and no one is admitted after the lecture has begun. Akron Law hosts this free lecture twice each year, at the beginning of the spring and fall semesters.
If you have any questions, please email Mary Cooke at firstname.lastname@example.org.Read More
Bar Exam Basics – A Series of Workshops
Thursday January 12 – Organizing your MPT
Central Hower 312 – 6:30 workshop (6:00 for food and informal Q&A)
The concept of an MPT is easy. You are provided all of the law and don’t need to remember anything other than how to write like a lawyer. The execution – not so easy. The organization technique taught in this workshop allows you to organize and write your essay in the 90 minute time frame.
- Food & informal Q&A starts at 6:00 for the 6:30 PM workshop
- Please bring your computer (if you expect to take the exam using a computer)
- Sign up here so I make sure to bring enough food!
The rest of the Workshop Series + the Half-Day Hangout
- Monday, January 16 – MBE Strategies and Tactics (Room TBA)
- Thursday, January 26 – Making up the Rules (Room TBA)
- Friday, February 3 – MPT Exam Simulation (Room TBA)
- Saturday, February 11, 12:00 – 5:00 PM: Half-day Hangout (Room TBA)
Want a head start on the MPT?
One of the challenges of the MPT is getting enough time to practice during the bar preparation period. It is never too early to start! Wherever you are in your law school career, you’re invited to start working on MPTs! Sign up here.
Questions? Contact Nancy Reeves, Director of Academic Success, at email@example.comRead More
Upcoming Ohio Bar Deadlines
April 3, 2017 is the deadline for filing your application to take the July 2017 Ohio Bar Exam. The following certificates will be provided by the Student Services office of Akron Law:
Law School Character Certificate
Your Law School Character Certificate will be completed with any character/fitness items you have submitted to the law school. It will be available for pick up by the end of February. You can then include the Character Certificate (and all attachments) with your application due on April 3rd.
Final Law school Certificate
Akron Law Student Services will prepare your Final Certificate and mail it directly to the Ohio Bar Admissions Office the week following Commencement. On your Final Certificate, Student Services will indicate whether or not you have attended the Substance Abuse Lecture that is required to take the July Bar exam.
Substance Abuse Lecture
If you have not yet attended a Substance Abuse Lecture during law school and you plan to graduate in May 2017, you will have one more chance to attend during the Spring 2017 semester. Mark your calendar for Wednesday, February 1st for our Spring 2017 Substance Abuse Lecture. The lecture will be from 5:20 – 6:20 pm in Room 160 at McDowell Law Center. Please arrive early to sign the attendance sheet – no one will be admitted after the lecture has started at 5:20 pm.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Read More
Bar Exam Essay Structure Workshop
Friday, January 6, PM – Essay Structure Workshop – Central Hower High Room 312
Bar graders spend an average of 2-3 minutes reading each of your essays. Those 2-3 minutes will determine whether you will earn a license to practice law. Make those minutes count! Learn to make your essays grader-friendly.
- Food & informal Q&A starts at 5:30; the workshop starts at 6:00 PM and will last until ~7:30 PM.
- Please bring your computer (if you expect to take the exam using a computer), any essay you have written, OR 2 paper copies of your essay and multiple highlighters of different colors)
- Sign up here so I make sure to bring enough food!
This is the first of five workshops offered in preparation for the February bar exam. (They will be repeated, beginning in June, for the July bar exam. Feel free to attend now, even if you are taking the July bar exam, and get a head start on preparing for the bar exam, especially if you are not taking ALA this semester.)
The rest of the workshop schedule:
- Thursday, January 12 – MPT Outlining Strategies: The concept of an MPT is easy – you don’t need to know anything other than how to write like a lawyer. The execution – not so easy. The outlining technique taught in this workshop allows you to organize and write your essay in the 90 minute time frame.
- Monday, January 16 – MBE Strategies and Tactics: How to approach an MBE question, and a compilation of strategies from multiple sources for avoiding NCBE sneaky tricks, eliminating wrong answers, and choosing between the last two once you’ve eliminated the others.
- Thursday, January 26 – Making up the Rules: How to prepare for, and survive, your mind blanking out at the most inopportune time. The rule-making techniques will help you survive the ultimate failure, as well as improving your rule stack for the majority of the time when you remember the rules.
- Friday, February 3 – MPT Exam Simulation: Every year, a few foolhardy souls never get around to writing any MPT essays until the morning of the first day of the bar exam. That doesn’t usually end well. Take advantage of the opportunity to write an MPT essay under exam conditions.
- Saturday, February 11, 12:00 – 5:00 PM: Half-day Hangout: More food, an informal repeat of any workshops you missed, a chance to ask whatever you haven’t gotten around to asking, I’ll time essays, MPTs, or MBE sets. Whatever (within reason) will help you make it through this final stretch.
Contact Nancy Reeves for additional information. NLR22@uakron.eduRead More
The deadline for a late application to Register as a Candidate for the July 2017 Ohio bar examination is January 17, 2017.
Please email Law Student Services at email@example.com with any questions. Thank you!Read More