The time slots for the July 2018 Early Start Bar Study Group have been narrowed to 5:
- Monday 11:00- 1:00
- Thursday 1:00 – 3:00
- Friday 11:00 – 1:00
- Friday 1:00 – 3:00
- Saturday 10:30 – 12:30
If you are planning to take a bar exam this July, let me know here which day(s) are best for you. (Ignore the specific dates – we’ll meet weekly until the bar exam, or until the group decides it’s no longer helpful)
(You’re welcome to participate in the poll, even if the bar exam is a bit farther off for you, but I’ll give priority to votes by people only have 130 days, give or take a day, left to study!)
This week’s sessions (L-325):
- Thursday 1-3: Evidence
- Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 – Criminal Law
If the 130 day comment caught you off guard – feel free to join us and get started! It’s a painless way to start writing essays and refreshing your memory of subjects long-forgotten.
Last chance before the bar exam!
Thursday 1-3 PM Constitutional Law: Free Speech -L-325
Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 TBD- L-325
Thursday – No session – I’ll be on my way back from the bar exam
Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 – First Early Start Session for the July 2018 Bar Exam. It’s your baby now, spring graduates! Let me know what subject matter you’d like to tackle!
(Within the next week or two you’ll have an opportunity to vote to keep the Thursday/Saturday sessions – or pick new times for the July Early Start sessions)
Three opportunities for bar prep at Akron Law this week:
- Tuesday: 8:30 – 3:30 – L-202: Simulation of the Tuesday portion of the bar exam. This is timed to coincide with the Themis Written Exam Simulation. Feel free to take advantage of the opportunity to see what Tuesday of the bar exam, even if Themis is not your vendor.
- BYO Material (all vendors provide at least one exam simulation). (If you have already used yours, or don’t have one available, let me know and I’ll find one for you.)
- There is a class in L-202 at 4 PM – so if you arrive late, you may need to move to finish the exam
- Thursday 1:00 – 3:00 – L-325: (Early Start) Study Group – Topic change: We’ll be writing a Contracts: Third Party Beneficiary essay, with a brief topic overview ahead of time
- Saturday 10:30 – 5:00 PM – L-325: Issue Spotting Marathon & Half-Day Hangout
- We’ll run through as many essays as anyone has the stamina for, starting at 10:30.
- ALA students – if you’re attending Saturday, instead of your class this week – be prepared – this session will be moving pretty quickly
- We’ll break at around 12:30-1:00 for homemade food (no more Jimmy Johns – yay!):
- Minestrone soup
- Hummus (multiple varieties – let me know if you need gluten free)
- Freshly baked bread
- Maybe Cookies (if Ms. Armstrong gets ambitious!)
- Once people are done with a first round of food***, and I’ve started a second loaf of bread baking, we’ll pick back up with the issue spotting marathon. (***the after food-activity is subject to the whim of those present)
Final Workshop for the February bar exam – Tuesday, February 6 – MPT Exam Simulation
Some of you have been putting off actually writing an MPT under exam conditions . . . you know you have.
Before it is too late, make sure you have written at least one MPT under exam conditions (preferably several). This workshop is an opportunity to write an MPT essay. I will select one MPT which has not been used in ALA, or by Kaplan, Themis, or Barbri – so it will not be a repeat even if you have been diligently getting tons of practice writing MPTs. A sample answer will be available, and you’re free to submit your essay for review
- L-325: 6:00 PM light food & conversation; 6:30 – 8:00 Workshop
Sign up here so I make sure to bring enough food!
Attend by WebEx: https://uakron.webex.com/join/nlr22
Other Events (all in L-325):
MBE Exam Simulation – Wednesday 9:00 – 4:00 (Themis date, but all welcome. BYO Materials)
(Early Start) Bar Study Group Thursday 1:00 – 3:00 – Evidence
(Early Start) Bar Study Group Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 – Property: Estates
Half-day Hangout (homemade food, questions, informal repeat of prior workshops) Saturday February 17 – Noon – 5 PM
Get a sneak preview via the Commercial Paper (Payment Systems) question from the July 2003 bar exam!
The (Early Start) bar study group will be writing that essay from 1:00 – 3:00 in L-325 today (Thursday).
If you have your Barbri/Kaplan/Themis outlines – bring the Ohio/State one. Don’t worry if you don’t – I’ll bring a few from the ASP Resources collection.
Barbri, at least, likes to save Payment Systems for the very end of bar prep – when your brain is already full. If you haven’t graduated yet, it’s early in the semester. You should have some empty space to tuck a new concept or two in – much more easily than a month out from the bar exam after you’ve already crammed in 13 subjects.
(We’ll start with a quick high-level overview of concepts, before diving into writing. )