Google Apps at Akron: Frequently Asked Questions

What is Google Apps at Akron?

The University of Akron is partnering with Google to provide a set of Google online services especially for UA students, with a single signon from the UA web site and a new lifetime @zips.uakron.edu email address. The Google Mail service (aka Gmail) is replacing the current student webmail system. Also included in the package are Google calendar, chat and document collaboration tools. The Google Apps services will be ad-free for current students.

Why is UA changing to this new service?

Read about the reasons here.

Why is my email address going to change?

Addresses with the @uakron.edu format will continue to be used for faculty and staff and hosted here on our Exchange mail system. Addresses hosted by Google required a separate naming format.

Can I get a different name for my email account?

No, but you will now be able to create up to five aliases (called nicknames in Gmail). There are some limitations to the aliases you can create. You can create these aliases using the UAnet account management website.

What will happen to mail sent to my old address after the change?

Until November 2, the mail will be automatically delivered to your new address. After November 2, it will be bounced back to the sender as undeliverable.

I am subscribed to a mailing list using my old address. What should I do?

You should unsubscribe from the mailing list and resubscribe using your new address. For lists hosted at UA (i.e. those at https://lists.uakron.edu/), we will do this for you.

I have given out my old address to friends/businesses/websites. What should I do?

Your old address will continue to work until November 2, with incoming mail to that address automatically routed to your new address. Therefore, sometime before November 2, you must inform anyone using your old address of your change to a new address. After that date all mail sent to the old address will bounce back to the sender as undeliverable.

What if I already have a Gmail account?

The creation of a new Google Apps at Akron account will not affect any personal Gmail account that you might have.

Can I really keep using this Gmail account forever?

Well, it’s hard to guarantee anything will last forever but that is the intent.

Can I get a separate email account for my student organization?

This capability is still under consideration. No final decision has been made yet.

How does it all work?

You will use your UAnet password to log into Google’s web-based applications through Zipline or this separate login page. If you want to access your new Gmail account through a mobile device or a desktop email program you will use the same password as your UAnet ID. Your password must be changed at least every six months on the UAnet account management website.

What if I forward my mail somewhere else?

You may continue to forward your mail to a different address but you will need to set that forwarding from the Gmail system. We will continue to provide a UAnet forwarding function until the the final cutover to the Gmail system on September 30. After that, all mail sent to your old @uakron.edu address will be automatically forwarded (for a time) to your new @zips.uakron.edu address at Google and it will no longer be possible to use the UAnet system to set forwarding options. Before that happens you will need to login to the Gmail site and set your forwarding option there. You can do this at any time after your Gmail account is created. If you don’t set your forwarding, and you don’t check your @zips.uakron.edu mail, then you run the risk of missing important mail messages. Also note that as of November 2 the auto-forwarding feature for your old @uakron.edu address will be turned off and mail sent to it will be bounced back to the sender.

Can I switch to Gmail now?

Yes, if your UAnet ID is currently active you can go to this opt-in page and start the process.

I used to be a student. Can I get a Google Apps at Akron account?

At this time accounts will only be provided to currently active students.

Who is eligible for these new services?

All active UA students will be provided a Google Apps at Akron account. You can keep this account even after you graduate, or otherwise become an inactive student.

What about the messages I have saved in the current webmail system?

We will move your current messages and address book to your Gmail account. You can sign up and start the whole process at this opt-in page. If you wait, we will be moving all remaining accounts on September 30, 2009.

Can I move my address book from the current webmail system?

Your address book will be moved along with your messages from the old UA webmail system.

Will Google have access to my password?

No. We are keeping your UAnet and Google Apps passwords in sync using a method that does not allow Google to know your password.

How do I change my passwords?

You can change your password at the UAnet account management web site. We will synchronize your Google password with your UAnet ID password.

Can I use a different email program, like a POP or IMAP client?

Yes, but you must first login to Gmail and turn on that function. You will also need a separate password. You can find a list of supported IMAP and POP clients as well as instructions for how to configure them on this Gmail help page.

If you use Microsoft Outlook you might also be interested in the Google Apps sync tool.

What if I don’t want to use Gmail?

You may choose to forward your mail to some other account. You will need to login to Gmail to set up the forwarding option. You can find directions on how to set up your forwarding on  this Google help page.

Where can I find more information about using Google Apps?

The Google Apps Help web site contains lots of useful information.

Why can’t I login through the Google site?

The single sign-on from the UA web site was developed so that we do not need to share your UAnet password with Google.

Why doesn’t Google Apps at Akron have the same set of applications as my personal Gmail account?

This is a special implementation of Google Apps created especially for schools. Not all applications are included at the current time, but Google may make additional apps available here in the future.