James C Cochran

James Cochran

Office: Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court

Residence: Cleveland, OH

Email: cochran4judge@gmail.com

Website: www.cochran4judge.com

Occupation: Attorney

Education: J.D. from Cleveland Marshall College of Law, Cleveland State University

Work Experience: Civil and Criminal litigation attorney since 1978

Family: Married, wife Joan, with three sons and four grandchildren

Affiliations: Ohio State Bar Association, Cleveland Metro Bar Association, Westshore Bar Association, Republican Party Cuyahoga County, Cuyahoga Valley Republican Club

Endorsements: Republican Party of Cuyahoga County (RPCC), www.cuyahogacountygop.com

Bar Association Ratings:

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)
0

I have 37 years of experience in the legal profession, and all of that time has been devoted to the Ohio bar. I have handled both criminal (as a prosecutor and defense attorney) and civil matters (as plaintiff’s and defendant’s representative). I have extensive working experience in both the public sector (19+ years) and private sector (18 years). I have litigated cases before judges, juries and arbitrators in the State and Federal trial courts, before judges in the Ohio Courts of Appeals and U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and before the justices of the Ohio Supreme Court. As a result of this working experience, I have developed a firm knowledge of the rules of evidence and rules of civil and criminal procedure. I have developed a wide and varied legal background which is conducive in understanding substantive law. I know how to recognize and research legal issues. I have developed a clear and concise writing style. Finally, there is a maturity factor that favors a more experienced practitioner. Just as important to the success of a judge’s tenure is his/her familiarity with the customs and practices of the local courts. A judge should have knowledge about the attorneys who come before the court. A judge should also be aware of the case background; as well as any history that exists between the parties. Seeking this type of information may be just as important in resolving the parties’ dispute, as understanding the case’s legal issues.

Presiding as a judge before Court of Common Pleas (General Division) gives me the opportunity to serve the legal community and by extension, the citizens of Cuyahoga County, at a time in my career when my skills are at their best. I would like to manage the large docket of cases that is the work product of the common pleas court. Bringing those cases to a timely and equitable resolution, while building and maintaining a good record capable of appellate review, would be my daily goal.