Kelly Badnell

Office: Richland County – Richland County Court of Common Pleas, General Division

Residence: Lexington, OH

Email: klb@badnell.com

Website: badnellforjudge.com; facebook.com/Badnellforjudge

Occupation: Attorney

Education: J.D. from Ohio Northern University; B.A., Business Administration and B.A., Political Science from Washington & Jefferson College

Work Experience: Civil and criminal litigation attorney, 1998 to present; Site acquisition and zoning compliance, 1996-1998; Assistant prosecutor, 1994-1996

Family: Married with two children.

Affiliations: First Congregational Church of Mansfield, Ohio State Bar Association

Endorsements: N/A

Bar Association Ratings: I have a “Very High” rating in both “Legal Ability & Ethical Standards” by Martindale-Hubbbel’s attorney peer review.

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

I am seeking judicial office for the first time.

I have over 20 years of relevant civil and criminal trial experience in the Court of Common Pleas. As a former assistant prosecutor, I prosecuted adult felony cases and provided legal advice to township and county officials. In my civil practice I have extensive jury trial experience on a wide variety of legal matters, including personal injury (for both plaintiffs and defendants), employment law, insurance coverage issues, mandamus actions, workers compensation claims, wage and hour law, declaratory judgment actions, and property disputes. I also have experience in land use and zoning law. It is this wide ranging experience that makes me particularly qualified to be judge. A Common Pleas Court judge presides over a wide range of cases. I have jury trial experience in most every type of case that would come before the court. I have written jury instructions, decisions, and briefs on these areas of the law. I will not be surprised or confused by the variety of cases that I would decide.

It is the best way I can serve the needs of our community. I am the only candidate that has current jury trial experience in the Court of Common Pleas. Additionally, I am the only candidate who is currently engaged in the private practice of law. Both of my opponents are long term government employees. I know what it is like to represent real people in court proceedings. I will apply the law in a fair, respectful manner. I will ensure that each person appearing in my court, whether plaintiff or defendant, client or attorney, is treated with dignity and respect. As a former assistant prosecutor and civil litigation attorney, I have proven trial experience in both criminal and civil law. I believe it is the Judge’s job to know the law, follow the law, and render opinions that are well reasoned and timely. I have already handled nearly all of the types of cases that would come before me as Judge of Richland County Common Pleas Court, and I already know the law in those cases. I also believe it is the judge’s obligation to ensure that the parties appearing before the court receive a fair and impartial trial and have equal access to our legal system. I will ensure that the parties and their counsel are treated with dignity, respect, and impartiality. I will ensure that the court docket is run efficiently and in a timely fashion. I believe that Richland County deserves a Judge with the most relevant experience for the job.