Lon’Cherie’ D Billingsley

Office: Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, General Division

Residence: Cleveland, OH

Email: Billingsley4judge@gmail.com

Website: Www.billingsley4judge.com, Www.weneedgoodjudges.com

Occupation: Cuyahoga County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney

Education: I received a Juris Doctorate from Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, a Bachelor of Arts from The Ohio State University, a High School Diploma from John F. Kennedy High School, and I attended Martin Luther King Law & Public Service High School as well as St. Agatha/St. Aloysius Elementary School

Work Experience: Contract attorney at Jones Day, Contact attorney at Baker Hostetler, Solo Practitioner, Law Clerk at the Spanish American Committee, Public Interest Fellow at Towards Employment, Program Assistant at the Law & Leadership Summer Institute, Personal Banking Consultant at Ohio Savings Bank, Front Desk Associate at the Hyatt Regency, New and Used Car Sales at Ganley Parma Imports, Data Entry at Starting Point, Data Entry at AMPCO Parking, Factory Worker at Steris, General Activities Therapist at Cuyahoga Hills Juvenile Correction Center, English Teacher in Mexico, English Teacher in Costa Rica, Loss Prevention Specialist at MBNA America, Guest Services at Target, Cashier at Tops, Server at Ponderosa, and Cashier at Heinen’s

Family: 10 year-old daughter

Affiliations: Vice President of the Norman S. Minor Bar Association, Vice President of the Max 8 Legacy Group, Board Member of the Consumer Affairs Advisory Board, Member of the Black Prosecutors Association, Member of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Member of the Hispanic Bar Association, Member of the Westshore Bar Association, and Member of the Word Church

Endorsements: Cleveland American Middle Eastern Organization and the Black Women’s Political Action Committee

Bar Association Ratings: Did not participate due to lack of transparency

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

This would be my first time serving Cuyahoga county as a judge.

The judicial branch of our government is tasked with interpreting our laws. However, practically speaking, the judge is similar to a referee during trial. As an assistant prosecutor, I’ve studied Ohio rules and laws and interpreted them on a consistent basis while participating in thousands of civil and criminal cases. I have spent the majority of my time in the courtroom advocating for the people of the state of Ohio and Cuyahoga county. I have practiced in the trial courts of Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, General Division, Juvenile Division, Domestic Relations Division, and various Municipal Divisions. Additionally, when there is a question of whether a judge followed the law at the trial court level, I have represented our community before the 8th District Court of Appeals in over 20 cases. Therefore, I have acted as the referee in my criminals cases (prior to trial) trying to keep all parties from conducting themselves in a way that could infringe on an individuals Constitutional rights and result in an appeals case. I have developed a reputation as a strong individual. I will not be bullied or forced to do something that I believe is wrong. With me as your judge, I will continue to be a strong individual. I will also be understanding that people need to be evaluated as individuals with goals and desires and not as faceless cases. I will evaluate the information presented to me and require legal support for legal conclusions that are presented. I want everyone who votes for me to hold me accountable for the decisions I make. Come to the courtroom to observe, write letters, write articles, let your voice be heard!! If the conclusion you desire is outside of the legal powers of the court, I will direct you to who can give you more direction and assistance. In conclusion, my non-judicial experience has shown me that judges don’t do enough. However, I am an individual who works hard, has abundant experience in court, has a passion for the law, and shows respect to everyone I encounter. These qualities and more, make me qualified to serve as judge. My passion will cultivate a judge who produces positive outcomes. Let’s do more for our county, let’s require more of our judges, and let’s elect Lon’Cherie’ D. Billingsley.

We need a change, therefore, I am running for this particular seat to be the fair, impartial, community-minded judge that we need in Cuyahoga county. As a citizen, I have sat back and complained long enough. It is time to be an active part of the solution. I want to see more accountability for judges. Therefore, as a judge, I would take on the mantle of informing our community. I would host workshops on current laws and facilitate forums to help people with everyday issues (such as, how to not be a victim of crime). Additionally, I will find a way to obtain statistics and publish that information so that there is quantifiable proof that what we’re doing in court is having a positive impact on our community. As a lawyer, I have the courtroom experience, patience, and desire to listen to the facts of each case and apply the law to the facts. Therefore, I would answer written pretrial motions in writing with an explanation on why the court ruled for or against a particular party. I will also improve court efficiency. Within the first few weeks of taking the bench, I will schedule civil and criminal cases for hearing (focusing on criminal cases that have been pending longer than one year and civil cases that have been pending longer than two years). I would also treat all individuals, lawyers and non-legal individuals, with the respect and dignity you should be afforded in court. We need to take responsibility for the change we want in our community. We need to eradicate this fear and distrust of our neighbors. We can work together, as a community, to cultivate a safer, more prosperous Cuyahoga county. The time has passed for electing judges with a political platform. Let’s eject judges who have a passion for our community and a dedication to serve. Bubble-In Billingsley on November 6, 2018!!