Academic Success Programs is offering two MBE (multiple choice) practice sessions to help you refresh your multiple choice skills and shake a bit of the dust that’s collected on your 1L subjects off before you take the Baby Bar this week.
- Tuesday, April 23, from 5PM – 6PM in Room 160
- Thursday, April 25, from 5 PM – 6 PM in Room 160
Assistant Director Armstrong will walk through BARBRI questions chosen from the subjects that will be tested on the Baby Bar, using BARBRI’s systemic problem solving method.
Question? Drop by ASP!
Get a jump start on preparing for the bar exam!
Extended Bar Prep Study Group meetings/essays this week:
- Monday 6:30 – 8:30 PM – Secured Transactions
- Tuesday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM – BBA
- Saturday 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM – Ohio Civil Procedure
- Saturday afternoon (new group meeting in Cleveland) – time and subject will be announced later this week
All groups, except the new Saturday group, meet in Room 135. The sessions are a good opportunity to learn Ohio essay skills – and to refresh/start learning the subjects before you’re in the middle of bar preparation.
The study groups are designed for students taking the bar exam this summer – but anyone who plans to take a bar exam in the future is welcome! It’s never too soon to start preparing for the bar exam.
Wednesday, January 16: 6:30 PM – Essay Structure Workshop – L-325:
Bar Exam Graders spend an average of 2-3 minutes reading each of your essays. Those 2-3 minutes will determine whether you will earn a license to practice law. Learn to make your essay grader-friendly so that those minutes count! Added focus this year on self-grading. (Enhanced ALA workshop)
- Food & informal Q&A starts at 6; the workshop starts at 6:30 PM and will last no more than an hour and a half.
- Please bring your computer (if you expect to take the exam using a computer), any essay you have written, OR 2 paper copies of your essay and multiple highlighters of different colors)
- Sign up here so I make sure to bring enough food!
- Saturday afternoon January 19 – MBE Systematic Problem Solving – L-325: Learn BARBRI’s Systematic Problem Solving Method (New: taught by Director Armstrong – similar to ALA and MBE, a bit more detai than the introductory session for the asynchronous course)
- Wednesday evening, January 23 – MPT Organizing Strategies: This is the longest workshop – it will last approximately 2 hours. [Similar to any ALA class]
- Wednesday evening January 30 – Making up the Rules: How to prepare for, and survive, your mind blanking out at the most inopportune time.
- Wednesday evening February 13 – MBE Strategies and Tactics: [Similar to the ALA course – with a different set of questions]
- Wednesday evening February 5 – 7, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Full Exam Simulation – to coincide with the scheduled Themis exam sim – BYO materials (BARBRI doesn’t schedule a 3-day stretch for a full exam sim – check with me if you want to try to join this one, or adjust your BARBRI schedule)
- Saturday, February 16, 12:30 – 5:00 PM: Half-day Hangout: Homemade food, last minute Q&A, and maybe a half-day of issue spotting.
All are welcome to the workships; a similar set will be offered in advance of the July bar exam.
We’re delighted that ASP library resources are so well used!
But it’s time for a few reminders so that everyone has a fair chance to use the resources:
- When you take a book/flash cards/CD out of the ASP Resource Library, please sign the sign-out sheet on the table.
- If you’re just using the books around the building, remember to bring them back the same day (and reshelve it). During reading week, please bring them back as soon as you’re no longer using them – the recommended time during reading week is 4 hours. Please don’t be piggy and take more than you/your study group can actively use at one time.
- If you’re taking resources home, please formally check them out through the library or with Dean Reeves. If neither are available, use your cell phone to take a photo of the Akron Law bar code and email it from your zips address to illll.uakron.edu. During reading week, the check-out period is 1 day.
There are some things that seem to have been missing from the shelves longer than they should be That means they aren’t available for you to use – and we may not be able to replace them. If materials are in your possession that shouldn’t be – please return them!
Extended Bar prep this week – L-325:
- Wednesday 2-4 (Ohio Bar Exam July 2008 Q 8 – Indorser/guarator liability)
- Wednesday 6:30 – 8:30 (same as the afternoon session)
- Saturday 10:30 – 12:30 (Ohio Bar Exam February 2015 Q 8 – warranties & defenses)
This week’s topic is Commercial Paper (Payment Systems). If you’re taking the Ohio Bar exam before July 2020 and didn’t get a chance to take Payment Systems – or it just didn’t gel – drop by this week and join us!