PDF version (PDF)
- Circuits II
- Differential Equations
- Programming for Engineers or Computer Science I
INTRODUCTION TO SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS
- What are Signals and Systems?
- Continuous and Discrete Time: Signals and Operators
- Why Study Discrete-Time Systems?
- Classification of Systems
DISCRETE-TIME SYSTEM ANALYSIS
- Descriptions of DT LTI Systems
- Solutions of Difference Equations
- Convolutional Sums
- The z transform
- Frequency response of DT LTI Systems
- State variable analysis of DT LTI Systems
- Steady-state analysis of DT LTI Systems
- Approximation of Continuous-time Systems
- The sampling period and alias frequencies
SIGNALS AND TRANFORMS
- Fourier Series
- Fourier Transform
- Laplace Transform
- Frequency Response
Since this course is offered in parallel with the other course taught by Dr. R. J. Veillette, his notes are the required text. The notes are available at DocuZip Center, Student Union Building (File no. 60).
- B. P. Lathi, Linear Systems and Signals, 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, 2005.
- A. V. Oppenheim and A. S. Willsky with S. H. Nawab, Signals and Systems, 2nd Edition, Prentice-Hall, 1997.
Final grades will be determined on the combination of homework assignments, quizzes and three tests. There are three grading breakdown options and the one producing the best grade will be used for each student. Please see the Syllabus for detail.
Notes on Homework, Tests, and Quizzes
- Homework and tests will be mostly the same with those in the course taught by Dr. R. J. Veillette.
- There are in total of 15 homework assignments. For each assignment, several problems will be assigned. But you are required to turn in only one problem in the end of the scheduled lecture on the day that it is due. Therefore, you should prepare solution for each problem in a separate sheet.
- Homework will be posted on the course’s webpage. The solutions, however, will only be sent out via email.
- There are about 10 quizzes and they are unannounced pop quizzes at the beginning of some lectures.
- Tests: Closed-book