



Undergraduate Student Government
The University of Akron

Undergraduate Student Government

Senate Agenda

February 6th, 2025

I. Call to Order

II. Roll Call

Senator Breon	Present
Senator Clark-Kelley	Present
Senator McCracken	Present
Senator Nichols	Present
Senator Rahman	Present
Senator Raymond	Present
Senator Schuhart	Present
Senator Shelton	Excused
Senator Smith	Present
Senator Sterns	Present

III. Pledge of Allegiance

IV. Adoption of the Agenda

Senator Schuhart: Motion to amend the agenda to change the delivery of the APSS report from Senator Clark-Kelley to Senator Schuhart.

Senator Breon: Second

Senate Chair Feezel: I would entertain a motion to remove the Advisor's Report from the agenda.

Senator Schuhart: So moved.

Senator McCracken: Second.

Senator Smith: Motion to amend the agenda to change the delivery of the FAST report from Senator Shelton to Senator Smith.

Senator McCracken: Second.

Senator Schuhart: Motion to adopt the agenda.

Senator Breon: Second.

V. **Approval of the 01.30.25 Minutes**

Senator Breon: Motion to approve the 01.30.25 Minutes.

Senator Schuhart: Second.

VI. **Open Student Expression**

Senate Chair Feezel: Now moving onto Open Student Expression. At this point anyone who would like to speak about anything please raise your placards.

Senator Raymond: I just wanted to say that I was appointed to be a Safety Ambassador for the University of Akron. I believe that there are two other students as well according to the email. So I'll be starting that next week!

Senate Chair Feezel: Congrats!

Liaison Bee: Hello! So as all of you may know, I am the IFC Greek Liaison, but I am also the Philanthropy Chair for FIJI. So I just wanted to quickly announce that we are having a philanthropy event where we are selling chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's day! So, to get everyone in the mood for that I have brought samples for everyone to try after the meeting has ended. They're in the back if you are interested, so have at it!

Director Mahaney: There is a bird safe campus summit on February 26th it is virtual and it's all day. The Polymer Building is the number one bird killer in Akron, and its free, so if you're interested let me know and I can send you the link!

Senate Chair Feezel: Anyone else for Open Student Expression? Okay moving onto Branch Reports.

VII. **Branch Reports**

€ Judicial Branch Report

Chief Justice Stillion

Senate Chair Feezel: The first Branch Report is the Judicial Branch Report given by Chief Justice Stillion.

Chief Justice Stillion: They just had us running around everywhere today, guys. It was a little crazy. Alright, so first off our meetings are structured a little differently going into the election cycle. It's the same meeting times, so Monday from 4:30-6:30 pm, but with

the new structure the first half will be the open JB meeting and the second half will be a closed executive board meeting. There will be two different reports given by me now, one for the Judicial Branch Report and another for the Elections Board, but nothing too different outside of that.

Within JB though, we have started our records project finally for real! It's great all of our Associate Justices have all been assigned and our Executive Justice and Chief Justice have all been assigned specific folders in a year that we will look at, see what needs to be moved around, what doesn't, and things like that. We will come back and discuss those at our JB meetings. Once again, make sure that with the News Letter make sure you are filling out your Event Feedback and any pertinent updates or anything that was interesting in your organization and make sure to submit that.

We did have a meeting with UAkron Park bright and early Wednesday morning at 8:00 am. Really early, very cold, but that's okay. They are working on an engagement survey that they have to fill out every two years to their constituents to see how people feel about parking, what they are and aren't using, etc. That will be available next week, if not the week after. I will make sure to advertise that in the Microsoft Teams, and with that survey they are planning a townhall in the later half of March that is open to everyone, faculty, students, and staff.

We also met with the Department of Student Conduct before a week before on 1/28. We talked about some of their upcoming Spring semester programming. Stuff for the hearing boards that all of our members in the Judicial Branch are trained to serve on, so some of those upcoming boards and a potential first year seminar presentations that they do they usually take on day out of all the first-year seminars to present about the Code of Student Conduct that we helped out with last semester.

We still have an open Associate Justice application, so definitely push that to anyone you know who might be interested. Any questions on any of that before we move onto the meme? There is a new one this week, unlike last week!

✉ Legislative Branch Report

Senate Chair Feezel

Senate Chair Feezel: Moving onto the Legislative Branch Report to be delivered by myself.

I think this was said last week, but it's the same deal, so for transitions please keep in mind that this is Spring Semester, so regarding your roles next semester, whatever they may be, remember to reach out to Legislative Branch Leadership if you are interested in that role next year. To make this clear, these roles are elected at the end of the semester

by the newly elected Senate. So, if you are not running in the Senate election to be a Senator in the current election cycle, you won't be able to be elected for Senate Leadership. So, if you're interested please make sure that you, segueing to my next point, apply in the election if you plan to return next year! That application closes tonight (02/06/25) at 11:59 pm and they will not take any late responses, you'll probably hear that in another report from Chief Justice Stillion soon.

Make sure you are filling out your Project Trackers as you are picking up projects again or starting new ones. Me and Vice Senate Chair Winters will be going through all of these on a much more regular basis this semester to make sure that they are being updated, that progress is being made, or that if they are completed they are marked as such. This is just to make sure that projects aren't sitting in limbo or that there is any lack of documentation on projects moving forward.

Additionally, here are some guest speakers that we have confirmed. Provost Wiencek will be coming to our meeting on February 20th, so two weeks from now, to discuss retrenchment process. We are continuing to fill the remaining guest speaker spots so reach out to me if you have ideas please reach out to me. We do have a couple drafts in mind like ZipAssist and the counseling center, possibly career services, and possibly the office of accessibility. Then again, our vacancies are the same so please let your friends know if they would fit these roles! Any questions?

Senator Raymond: I wanted to know how full the applications are for all of the senate positions. Have they all been applied to?

Senate Chair Feezel: For the vacancies or for elections?

Senator Raymond: Both, I guess.

Senate Chair Feezel: Well I am not actually aware nor am I able to answer the elections question. But, with the vacancies, I believe we have one application that we are pursuing an interview for, but the rest of them we have not received one. So, we'd really appreciate you sending these out to your friends and encourage them to apply.

Senate Chair Feezel: I would also entertain a motion to change the delivery of the EB Report and the DLT report to be given by Chief of Staff Lane.

Senator Schuhart: So moved.

Senator Breon: Second.

Chief of Staff Lane: Surprise, hey guys! Alright, so there are a few things that the Executive Branch worked on this week. First was Mental Health Monday which was taken on by the Mental Health Task Force they tabled on Monday in the International Lounge. They handed out fidget toys, stress relievers, and the Zippy stress kangaroos. They had really great attendance because Coffee with the Coach was happening in the Piano Lounge, so there were a lot of people that stopped by for that! Safety Walk #2 took place on the Exchange Route. This is when they're looking if the blue lights are working and seeing if there are any other safety concerns. That took place Wednesday, February 5th at 5:30 pm, so please be on the lookout for anymore of those that pop up. Those are USG Sponsored Events if you do partake in them and they are also really interesting to see. The EB Cabinet meeting took place on Wednesday evening at 5:00 pm. Those are biweekly and are open to anyone and our notes are also in the Microsoft Teams, so the next one will not be next week, but the week after. I would give you an update on what everyone said, but we do have Director's Report's today, so I don't want to repeat any information! There is also a meeting with RHC planning a collaborative service event, this was with Natalie's team (Campus & Community Involvement), with Akron Children's Hospital, so you'll probably hear more about this as more details come out. And OSGS 2025 happened you guys! Thank you so much to everyone who came and everyone who volunteered to help make the event happen and everyone who had me barking orders at them during the weekend. You are all such wonderful people and I appreciate it! At the bottom of this, and in your email and everywhere else you've probably looked this week, there's a QR code to give feedback, we love this feedback not just from our attendees, but also from you guys. This will help our Chief of Staff plan for next year!

Events we have coming up include the All-USG Retreat being planned by our Director of Membership Development Dylan Leipold. This is a membership requirement in our Bylaws that you have to attend this, so from some reason if there is a really big reason on why you cannot attend that, you need to let your branch heads know ASAP to get that approved before that retreat happens. Otherwise, you are expected to be in attendance. And USG Presentation Night Part 2 is next week, it's one week from today (02/13/25) and is planned by Deputy Director Cosgrave and Event Coordinator Nguyen. You need to send your presentations to them by Wednesday at 11:59 pm. Last time, a lot of us did not give them enough notice and some of us even made them during the event. Keep in mind, presentations are capped at 10 minutes and we expect a lot of you to be there because it was a lot of fun last time!

Chief of Staff Lane: Shoutouts! If you were filling these out in the Teams instead of using the link in the email, chances are you filled out the wrong form. So make sure you fill out the new form, this one is now posted in the Teams. I know that I was making this mistake, so please just be careful so we can make sure that people are receiving your shoutouts! We did get Branch Reports, you can read more about those in the minutes, and I'm sure you heard a little bit about those in their own reports.

We have the USG Awards Ceremony date set, those will be on Friday, April 25th, put it in your calendars, in the Honors Common Room from 6:00-8:00 pm! We are making sure this is going to be a great event, the end of year awards ceremony is always really fun. There's great food, we get to hand out huge awards, and celebrate our graduating seniors!

Office hours, we will be posting DLT's regular office hours this week, that way if you don't want to check our calendars you can just see whenever we will be in the office! That way you guys can always have access to us and it just increase transparency, which is always a goal in the organization.

The Impact Life Awards, other student orgs apply for LIFE awards and what we decided on in DLT is that we will be applying for this award with OSGS since that had a big impact on not only other student governments, but our student government was also able to receive a ton of ideas from that and be able to run for the rest of school year with that. So, keep your ears out for that and see if we win something.

Vice Week is in two weeks, guys I love Vice Week, this is one of my favorite USG traditions since I've been in USG! What is Vice Week you may ask? All of our vices take over for the week, so in EB's cabinet meeting that week, Vice President Kozma will take over. In all of your committee meetings that week, your Vice Chairs will lead the meetings. In senate, our lovely Vice Senate Chair Ali Winters will take over, it's kind of self explanatory.

Vice Senate Chair Winters: It's going to be a rough week.

Chief of Staff Lane: It's a great learning opportunity and kind of funny to watch sometimes. Keep an eye out for more information on that from your branch heads, so remember to let your Vices take over that week. Same thing, USG Presentation night is set and we did our bonding activity that we like to do. I believe we did Rose, Bud, and Thorn this week! That's all I have this week!

VIII. Committee Reports

€ Elections Board Report

Chief Justice Stillion

Chief Justice Stillion: This one doesn't have a meme. As I mentioned, this is the second half of our restructured meetings. This portion of the meetings are closed off, so please keep that in mind if you try to attend a JB meeting. In terms of other events, the application is still open, as Senate Chair Feezel mentioned and it closes tonight at 11:59 pm per the election rules, we cannot accept any late applications, so if you're interested make sure you have your application submitted before then. We did table for the application this Monday at the Student Union, it was a great time we handed out some USG goodies. For your information, if you are applying or if any of your constituents are applying, all applicants will be contacted about the first candidates meeting tomorrow morning (02/07/25) in an amazing email from the elections chair regarding further information. Are there any questions about that, with the knowledge that I can't answer every question?

€ Student Engagement Committee

Senator Breon

Senator Breon: Hello everybody! Student Engagement met this week, today actually from 11-12 pm. It was very productive with conversation between Senator Sterns, Senator Rahman, and I. We were talking about projects and initiatives that we're pursuing currently. Senator Rahman is obviously working on her Safety Walks right now, and there is one coming up on February 26th. Senator Sterns is talking about his QR codes for feedback up in the Union, but he could only print out one page because the printer was running out of ink or something like that. I myself am pursuing a campus wide safety project to figure out how people are feeling on campus, whether this is all types of students, commuters or residents. We just want to get a gauge on how they are feeling so maybe we can contact UAPD and maybe get some legislation started with that. Other than that are there any questions?

€ F.A.S.T. Committee

Senator Smith

Senator Smith: This week for FAST wasn't too busy, we really just worked on our Car legislation and making any last adjustments to that. We also tried to schedule the FAST accessibility tours and trying to find times that work for that. Any questions?

€ A.P.S.S. Committee

Senator Schuhart

Senator Schuhart: A lot of repeats for this week. We are continuing our work on our two initiatives, the first one being the Brightspace Initiative. Senator Clark-Kelley went ahead and made a survey and got it approved by our branch leadership. We are working on getting this put out in Zipmail and a tabling event for our survey, maybe with some Zippy Cookies. We just got our advising survey approved, so we are also working on getting

that in Zipmail and setting up a tabling event for that as well. Any questions?

IX. Constituency Reports

€ Faculty Senate Report

President DeWitt

President DeWitt: Sorry if you saw me coming in hot, it ran over until like 5:35 pm. So, please forgive me if this information sounds jumbled I literally just got back. So, pro is you're getting this hot off the press, and con is its a little jumbled.

Faculty Senate started off with remarks from the Chair, that is Kate Budd. So Rethinking Race, in general a lot of people are thinking that this was a preemptive action to cut the program. They would urge the administration to make changes on that decision. She also mentioned the Provost search committee, if you didn't know the Provost is going to be resigning from his position, and there are various constituencies working on that search together. I will be a part of that group, GSG will have a representative, University Council, University Executive Committee, so all of the constituency groups that helped select President Nemer will be working on this as well. She also referenced Senate Bill 1. Does everyone know what Senate Bill 1 is? A lot of people say that it is similar to Senate Bill 83, I encourage you all to look into it because there's no time to go over every single detail. Basically the highlight of it is that it is going to remove certain DEI initiatives, classes, programs, and things like that, so please look it up and educate yourself. Basically, her and the rest of the Senate are concerned for the future students and the future of DEI at UA. She wants to encourage not just faculty and staff, but also students to make sure our voices are heard about how we feel about this bill, and reminded us that Senate Bill 83 was taken down this can be too.

The Provost also made some remarks. Enrollment is up, so yay! Rethinking Race was another thing that he spoke about. A couple quotes, it seemed that it was a surprise to him and President Nemer that these changes were made. He said that this was due to guidance from the state, and said that the university made it's decision because of that. You probably heard this from the Akron Beacon Journal, WKYC, other news outlets or social media. I don't believe there has been official statement from the university, but I encouraged Provost Wiencek to put something out there, because students feel like they're in the dark. The budget has not been set for next year, but they have been talking about it and that is how this all came about. People are saying that it was cut because people are not sure that Rethinking Race would be put into the budget next year. So, it hasn't officially been cut in his terms, but he also claimed that he did not know who was apart of the decision. There was heavy questioning from Faculty Senate and yeah, it basically seems like a lot of people are upset from this. I think every comment in general

was negative, and they urged the university to change their viewpoint on this. At the end of the meeting, there was an official motion passed by the senate to reinstate Rethinking Race for Fall 2025 if it was being cut or if there are plans to cut it. So that will be going up and that was something that was voted on and it was unanimous I believe. The provost also had an explanation for his resignation. He explained that this has been the plan since the summer so when President Nemer came in, he thinks it is good for people to have all new fresh faces, new ideas, and new visions at the university so he will be stepping down, and that was the agreement with President Nemer in the summer.

There were a lot of presentations from the committees that they have at Faculty Senate. One highlight is they had a proposed general program updates, they did not vote on it this time, but they will be voting on it next meeting. By the way, these meetings are open if you want to attend them. They talked about a lot of things, updating learning objectives, they talked about doing a 3-6 credit hours flexibility, potentially a first-year seminar that could be a new class or an existing class. It seemed like Faculty Senate was concerned about how this would get rid of the speech requirement. That will be an official vote next time.

Then AAUP, that is the teachers union I believe, they obtain proposals for retrenchment seeing if alternative things can be done. But, they will be working on those and bringing them to the administration. They also urge you to stop Senate Bill 1. Then at the very end, a faculty member urged students to participate in her resolution to be presented to the next faculty senate to bring back the pride flags in the Union. Those are my crazy updates of mass information, I would be happy to send you all the minutes if you want. Any questions? You know where to find me if you do have questions.

X. Director Reports

€ Events

Director Mahaney

Director Mahaney: There's not much going on with the Events team, which is to be expected it is still the beginning of the semester. We did add lots of events to the sponsored events sheets, it is week four so we are like a third of the way through the semester and there are things on there for the whole semester! Please sign up for those, there are tabling events, accessibility tours, and safety walks! Those are super easy, you just show up to the office and walk around and that counts as a sponsored event! That's all, any questions?

€ DEI

Director Minard

Director Minard: Hi all! Happy Black History Month! I have a bunch of updates on

events that are coming up. Right now, we are working on a Black History Month Highlight, and we are seeking nominations if you have any Zips in mind who are excellent. We are looking for alumin, faculty, staff, and students. There is a nomination form in the teams, so take a look at it when you get the chance. We are also hosting United We Stand, which is an opportunity for underrepresented groups on campus to come together and give them the opportunity to express concern and ask questions about the recent things going on with DEI. Please attend it will be fantastic, we will need volunteers and I think the extent of that will just be like participating in discussion. We are having food! That is next Wednesday (02/12/25) at 5pm in room 310. We are also working on the Women's Empowerment Summit! We will have five panelists, if you are not familiar, we have different orgs on campus come and hear from beautiful, fantastic women and their experiences. Thats all, any questions?

€ Membership Development

Director Leipold

Director Leipold: Good evening, everybody. The main update I have right now is just about the All-USG retreat, it is on Friday, February 21st, 3:00-6:00 pm, it should be on all of your calendars already. It has already been iterated that it is a membership requirement, but it should be a ton of fun! We are getting Chipotle again, spend a lot of time doing get to know you activities, some goal setting, and it will feature our keynote speaker Scott Reed. He is the executive director of the Cascade Log Park Association, that is a nonprofit hear in Akron. He is going to talk to us about leadership and civic engagement, and we are really excited to have him here. Make sure you are there, you'll be able to ask questions and hear a ton of information. Any questions?

€ Project Management

President DeWitt

Senate Chair Feezel: I would like to entertain a motion to change the delivery of the Project Management report to President DeWitt.

Senator Schuhart: So moved.

Senator Breon: Second.

President DeWitt: Sorry guys, it is on my phone. Okay, this is from Director Sudaharan. The project management team is doing a lot of exciting things this month. Project Manager Tamim is tackling the Bicentennial celebration, so if you did not know the city of Akron is having it's 200th anniversary, very exciting! Project Manager Pence is taking on Senator Smith and Senator Shelton's plant pot painting event, so that will be very fun. Then the project management team is tackling the Akron vs. Kent Tailgate and we will be meeting soon to discuss details. USG and BEC have already planned like a weeklong

thing, like we're doing giveaways and Zippy will be there. Any questions?

€ Community and Campus Outreach

Liaison Bee

Liaison Bee: Hello. So for the most part, most of our stuff is in the planning process. Although currently, we do have the safety walks going on, so thank you all for those who have been showing up to those. We also have Deputy Director of Community Involvement Nick Senko working on a small business passport project. We are also currently trying to collab with the AKRowdies for a T-Shirt design for the Akron – Kent game. I am currently in the process of planning another Spring Cleaning event. So, if any of you are a part of other organizations that require service hours, please let me know. And outside of this, with the Mental Health Task Force, they are working on having another Mental Health Monday. We also have a newly appointed PHC Greek Life Liaison, and she is working on bringing back the Take Back the Night Event, as well as potentially her and I working on a CPR and First Aid Class. There are also a couple other miscellaneous things with RHC and USG collaboration. That's all for now, any questions?

€ Marketing

Director Shafer

Director Shafer: Hi everyone! So if you have any marketing requests, not to sound like a broken record, three weeks please! Please submit the form three weeks in advance. So, if you have any events at the end of this month or even the beginning of March, get those forms in! It doesn't have to be an event either, even if you just want fliers printed out to put around campus, we can do that too. Also, we want to post more about other student orgs on campus and we want to shoutout more things going on campus. Any questions?

XI. Adjournment

Senate Chair Feezel: Is there any other new business? No, we are adjourned.

XII. Discussion

€ Legislation Writing Workshop

€ Feb 5 Meeting