Japan

First Day In Japan

Blog post #1

____________________
Cheap printing
photo #1:

If I have not mentioned before, I am a graphic design student and an illustrator, so, to my surprise, I tend to gravitate toward the books and goods. First, I see a large manga (comic book) of HunterxHunter, and knowledge of these back in the USA run somewhere to 12-25 sometimes 30USD. I look with astonishment that it was only 610 yen (roughly $5.90-$6), the size is that of oversized manga 8″x6″ roughly. The paper quality is that similar to a finer newsprint. Kinda feels 60lb weight, with newspaper tooth, but even so, looking at other books with full color pullout ads and accordion folds are only 510 yen!!!?? It’s crazy but awesome. Unlike in the USA, this is the place for flashy and cheap research.

tumblr_o7oorhriyv1vn0ecyo1_1280

Good food:
Photo #2
It seems kinda cliche to say, but the food down here is great. Also glad to see it is as easy as I thought to get rice and soup. With my stomach not being able to tolerate much right now, it really helps to know that I can always get rice. Even at chain restaurants. Photo taken from inside Denny’s. Easy food, great price, plus service is done via a touch screen for seating and party arrangements, and a button at the table for the waiter. Quite advanced.

tumblr_o7oorhriyv1vn0ecyo2_400

Typography and logos

photo #3
I guess I am surprised to say the least. I knew that there are a lot of vending machines in Japan, but the photo was more catching to my eye at the labels. I was surprised to see so many typographic based logos and identifications. Still overall, Japan seems very illustration dominant, but I guess it depends on what you are looking at and what’s being sold.

tumblr_o7oorhriyv1vn0ecyo3_540

Well to a great busy but fun day! \m/