Categories
Thailand/Southeast Asia

Goodbye to Elephants World

I can’t believe how many connections you can make in just a week! Working hard with the elephants inevitably bonds you to the animals, but also brings you together with the people who show you the way. By the end of the week, it was sad to say goodbye to all the people we met!

Every mahout was welcoming and kind. I never felt like a burden, even though I’m sure I cramped their style on at least a few occasions! There are no language barriers in a splash fight between traveling students, mahouts, and elephants, and the mahouts were sure to start as many as they could!

The most profound connection by far was with our guide for the week, Dee. He has nam jai, water from the heart—a kind heart, in Thai. He taught us that phrase as we floated down the river Kwai, laughing and learning and taking in the beautiful sights. It’s a bonding experience I won’t forget, especially since we were wearing our life jackets like diapers.

Dee and the mahouts threw us a karaoke barbecue party on our last night to celebrate the end of our time at Elephants World. It was a fantastic time! We all came together to sing silly songs and eat freshly grilled pork and veggies. Many of the mahouts performed beautiful pieces of Karen music. Even Dee played one! We had no idea he could play the guitar, so seeing him perform was really special.

I can easily say that I will never forget the people at Elephants World. I am so grateful to have begun our trip here, because it makes our following exploration so much more meaningful. I am so lucky to have met all of them in such an amazing place!

IMG_2258 IMG_2292