Thailand/Southeast Asia

Adventure Starts From Within (1)

I like to call myself adventurous, mostly because I’m an Eagle Scout and I love the outdoors, but deciding to travel halfway around the world was a huge leap for me. I have a much more reserved and introspective personality than most. When I saw the poster for this Southeast Asian Adventure I instantly snagged a photo to read and think about the opportunity. That photo sat in my phone’s library for a very, very, long time. Ultimately, it was the night before I had to make a decision. Everything seemed to come together. I had no summer employment lined up. I love elephants, and the Dean of William’s Honors College was personally overseeing the trip. But still there was this feeling of uncertainty. After spending way too much time on the phone with my parents, to the point where we were both just sitting there in silence, I finally gave in to living in the moment. “I’m going to Thailand!” I yelled. The feeling of uncertainty and fear of the unknown that I struggled with became the theme of my adventure. Waking up not knowing what the day would bring was exhilarating and frustrating at the same time. Once I learned to embrace the unexpected and serendipitous, I found that my day got exponentially better. Going with the flow was part of the Thai culture.

Looking back at my decision, I would never change my mind because of the relationships I built, the incredible places I visited, and the amazing experiences I enjoyed. Previously I never could have imagined myself exploring the ruins of an ancient Angkor civilization, bathing refugee elephants in the River Kwai, or sailing the waters through Bangkok.  My advice is not to be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Don’t let fear prevent you from truly living the day ahead. It’s just like these words I found credited to T. Arigo, “The hardest thing to do is leaving your comfort zone. But you have to let go of the life you’re familiar with and take the risk to live the life you dream about.”