John Paul Kolesar

Office: Sandusky County Court

Age: 53

Residence: Clyde, OH

Email: kolesarforjudge@gmail.com

Website: https://www.facebook.com/ReelectJudgeKolesar/, https://twitter.com/kolesarforjudge

Occupation: Judge

Education: JD University of Dayton; BS Drexel University

Work Experience: Judge since 2009; Assistant County Prosecutor Sandusky County 2001-2009, Seneca County 1999-2001; Seneca County Public Defenders Office 1997-1999

Affiliations: Past President Sandusky County Bar Association, Sandusky County Community Corrections Board – voting member, Ohio Judicial Conference, former Chair of Sandusky County Red Cross chapter, former president of Council for Persons with Developmental Disabilities, former member Clyde Exchange Club, County/Municipal Judge representative to Ohio Justice Alliance for Community Corrections, Ohio Supreme Court’s Commission on Specialized Dockets – Municipal Drug Court seat.

Endorsements: Clyde Police Chief Monti Campbell, Green Springs Police Chief Charlie Horne, Green Springs Mayor Adam Greenslade, Iron Workers Local 55, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 8, Plasterers and Cement Masons Local 886, International Association of Heat & Frost Insulators Local 45, United Auto Workers Fostoria Area CAP, Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 50.

Bar Association Ratings: N/A

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

March 2009 to present – Sandusky County Court Judge

2) What about your non-judicial legal experience qualifies you to be a judge?

As a felony prosecutor for 10 years, I tried more than 35 cases to jury verdict. I was the sole prosecutor in a murder case involving a shooting at a motorcycle club in Fremont that resulted in a guilty verdict. I represented the State in other serious felony matters including charges of Arson, Robbery, and many other violent felonies. I appealed a case to the Ohio Supreme Court, resulting in the reinstatement of a seven-year prison sentence for a serious drug dealer. I also served as an assistant public defender and tried about 12 case to jury verdict. As an attorney I tried about 50 cases to verdict and as a result I am well acquainted with the rules of evidence and procedure. I apply these rules every day as a judge. I believe that a trial judge should be a competent trial attorney. My experience prosecuting and defending criminally accused directly relates to the daily work of the county couurt. The efficient operation of the court will continue under my continued guidance.

As the incumbent, I established two specialized dockets: In 2009 OVI Court and in 2014 Drug Court. These are the only certified specialized dockets in Sandusky County. Certification is only achieved after review of the program documents, observation of the operation of the docket by members of the Supreme Court’s Specialized Docket section staff and compliance with evidence based best practices and principals. I serve on the Supreme Court’s Commission on Specialized Dockets in a seat designated for a Municipal Drug Court Judge, a commission that oversees the operation of the specialized dockets section. As a result of my specialized dockets, the court has been awarded grant money to offset the cost to employ a specialized docket coordinator. In addition, the County Board of Mental Health has received 50,000 to pay for treatment of participants in the specialized dockets. I also serve on the Ohio Justice Alliance for Community Corrections as the Municipal and County Court Judges Association representative. I have improved the services that the court offers to the citizens of the county by establishing these specialized dockets. These programs require participants to complete treatment and remain free from drugs or alcohol. I am running for re-election to continue the operation of these dockets and based on my record of achievement. My membership in state level organizations, which has been earned over many years as Judge, ensures a local voice and local knowledge in those organizations’ areas of expertise. My re-election will ensure that these programs continue.