Kari L. Bloom

Office: For Judge of the Hamilton County Court of Common Pleas, Juvenile Division
Term Beginning 2/14/2021

Residence: Cincinnati

Email: kbforjudge@gmail.com

Website: votekaribloom.com

Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/KBforJudge; @kbforjudge

Occupation: Felony Trial Lawyer, Hamilton County Public Defender

Education:  I graduated from the University of Cincinnati, College of Law in 2011 with a Public Service designation. In 2008, I graduated from Bowling Green State University with a degree in Political Science.

Work Experience: 
After graduating from law school I worked for the United States Air Force as a civilian. In 2012 I started as a trial attorney in the public defender’s office, where I’ve worked for 6 years. I also spent 3 years as a legislative liaison.

Family: Engaged

Affiliations: Hamilton County Democratic Party, Equality Cincinnati PAC

Endorsements:  Senator Sherrod Brown, Ohio Senator Cecil Thomas, Hamilton County Democratic Party, Hamilton County Young Dems, Cincinnati Equality PAC, Cincinnati AFL-CIO Labor Council, Laborers Local 265, IBEW Local 212, Cincinnati Federation of Teachers, Cincinnati Women’s Political Caucus, Bold New Democracy, and Wyoming Mayor Thaddeus Hoffmeister

Bar Association Ratings: 

I have not been a judge or magistrate before. In Ohio, lawyers have to be licensed licensed a certain number of years before they can run for judge. While waiting the requisite number of years I worked exclusively in the public sector, building a career of courtroom experience and client interaction.

I am qualified to be a judge because I am knowledgeable and compassionate. I’ve learned a lot about children, childhood adolescence, and behavioral science from professionals I’ve met through my representation of children and adults in the criminal justice system. I’ve met with mothers whose children are incarcerated and represented adults who have been locked up since they were kids. I’m invested in the communities the court serves, and see the need for a culture change in the Juvenile Court.

I am running for this seat because I believe that kids are different, and that we must work towards the goal of rehabilitation for children rather than depend on incarceration to fix the issues in our community. The Juvenile Court’s purpose and stated goal is rehabilitation of children, because children deserve the ability to learn and grow. I am running because no child is born bad, and we have a duty as a community to help guide them to success. All children are our future.