Stephen R. Bruns

Office:  Preble County Common Pleas Court

Age: 60

Residence: Eaton, OH

Email: sbruns@stevebruns.com

Website: http://www.stevebruns.com

Occupation: Magistrate, Preble County Common Pleas Court

Education:  J.D. from The Ohio State University College of Law

Work Experience: General Practice Attorney in Preble County since 1983; Magistrate, Preble County Common Pleas Court since 2009

Family: Married to Lisa Bruns, interior designer, chair of Preble County Board of Elections; two children, Andy, an attorney in San Francisco, and Molly, who works for the Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC.

Affiliations: Presently member of Ohio State Bar Association Council of Delegates, Preble County Council on Aging Board, Preble County Historical Society Board; Previously member of Eaton School Board, Preble County Board of Elections

Endorsements: N/A

Bar Association Ratings: N/A

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years) Preble County Common Pleas Court Magistrate since January 1, 2009. Will be attending the National Judicial College’s General Jurisdiction training program.

I have practiced law in Preble County since 1983, handling all the types of cases that come before the Common Pleas Court. I have also had several leadership positions within the legal profession, including five terms as President of the Preble County Bar Association and 17 years of service as a representative to the Ohio State Bar Association’s Council of Delegates.
I became a lawyer to fight for justice. For 35 years, I’ve worked to help people protect their livelihoods, their homes, and their families. Ten years ago, I had the honor of being named Magistrate of the Common Pleas Court, gaining crucial judicial experience presiding over civil, criminal, and domestic relations cases. As Judge, I will make Preble County a place where people know they will be treated fairly in Court and a place where criminals who would prey on our citizens know they should avoid. I’ve spent my entire life in Preble County. It’s where my wife and I raised our children, the only place my parents lived during their 59-year marriage, and where my in-laws worked a farm that has been in their family for more than a century. This is our home, and I am committed to making it an even better and safer place to live. Over the years, I have given thousands of hours to organizations dedicated to helping Preble County children, senior citizens, and every age group in between. I’ve seen first-hand how many of our neighbors struggle. Some have been victims of crime, others just victims of bad luck. I want to do more to help them. My work as an attorney and magistrate and my service to this community have prepared me to continue to serve the people of Preble County as Judge of the Common Pleas Court. I ask for your vote in 2018.