About Us

This blog is written by students in the UnClass entitled “Humans of UA,” meant to mark the University of Akron’s Sesquicentennial. Using resources available in The University of Akron Archives, students are blending historical materials and social media to bring voices from the university’s past into today’s conversations. Our goal is to highlight student contributions and experiences from the past that might not otherwise be recognized.

We are taking advantage of social media outlets to focus attention on these students. We’re imagining the lives, experiences, and social concerns of people currently hidden in the archives, bringing them to life through blogs, Instagram, Facebook, and other social media. 

Contributing students include:

Ashleigh Bonina

I am a 5th year student at the University of Akron. I am majoring in middle level language arts and history. This project attracted my attention because I like learning about the past students of our university and how they have shaped our culture today.

and:

Kaylie Yaceczko

I am currently a senior at The University of Akron, majoring in English and minoring in Human Resources and Creative Writing. I am involved with the Upstart Crows–a writing organization on campus–as well as the undergraduate literary journal, AshBelt. I became interested in this project because I love how influential literature is on people and how these voices can affect us today.

Dr. Hillary Nunn of The University of Akron Department of English teaches the class, which is sponsored by the UA EX[L ]Center for Experiential Learning.