Diana Stevenson

Diana Stevenson

Office:  Ninth District Court of Appeals

Age:     49

Residence: Barberton OH

Email:  stevensonforjudge@gmail.com

Website:  N/A

Occupation:   Clerk of Courts, Barberton Municipal Court

Education:      Certified Court Manager, Supreme Court of Ohio, 2014 Juris Doctorate, The University of Akron, 1992, Cum Laude Bachelor of Arts Economics, The University of Akron, 1989

Work Experience: Clerk of Courts, Barberton Municipal Court 2012 to current; Magistrate, Summit County Probate Court 2000 to 2012; Assistant Prosecutor, Summit County Prosecutor’s Office, 1996 to 2000; Judicial Attorney, Supreme Court of Ohio, 1995 to 1996; Judicial Attorney, Summit County Probate Court 1993 to 1995; Judicial Attorney, Stark County Common Pleas Court 1992 to 1993

Family:  Married, two children, ages 16 and 19

Affiliations:  Board Member, Tuscora Park Health and Wellness Foundation; President-Elect Magic City Kiwanis; Ohio Association of Municipal and County Court Clerks; Member, Akron Bar Association Foundation; Member, Akron Bar Association; Former Member, University of Akron Honor College Alumni Board; Former Member, University of Akron Economics Board; Former Appellate Moot Court Coach, University of Akron School of Law

Judicial Experience: Magistrate, Summit County Probate Court 2000 to 2012

What about your non-judicial legal experience qualifies you to be a judge?

Throughout my legal career, I have made specific choices in order to prepare myself for the opportunity to become a Court of Appeals Judge.  I worked for a variety of well-respected legal jurists and have learned from these mentors.  As a Judge of the Court of Appeals, a three judge panel hears all cases that come before it, including criminal, civil, domestic, juvenile and probate issues.  My diverse background qualifies me to be a judge.

Currently I am the Clerk of Courts for Barberton Municipal Court.  In this position I handle all the paperwork for the court as well as am responsible for the collection and distribution of nearly $4 million in revenue to the court.  Additionally, it is the responsibility of my office to handle the administrative processes of the court.  This helps me to see the impact of judicial decisions on the citizens who are affected by them.  As an assistant prosecutor I represented townships, county officials and agencies in all matters of litigation and at all levels of the judicial system.  As a Judicial Attorney at the Supreme Court of Ohio, I participated in the decision-making process at the highest judicial level in Ohio.  As a judicial attorney I have also  gained  experience in family law, criminal law and civil litigation.

Why are you running for this particular court seat?

As I stated above, I have made very specific career choices in order to prepare to be a judge of the Court of Appeals.