Gwen Bender

Office: Hamilton County – Hamilton County Municipal Court-District 7

Age: 53

Residence: Cincinnati, OH

Email: judgegwenbender@gmail.com

Website:  judgegwenbender.com 

twitter: @JudgeGwenBender

instagram judge_gwen_bender

Occupation:  Judge, Hamilton County Municipal Court 

Education:  J.D. University of Cincinnati College of Law; B.A., Saint Mary’s College (Notre Dame, Indiana)

Work Experience:  Municipal Court judge (2 years); 23 years as Assistant /Chief Assistant Prosecutor

Family: Married with 2 sons

Endorsements:  Hamilton County Republican Party; Fraternal Order of Police, Queen City Lodge 69; Cincinnati Right to Life PAC

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

I was appointed to the Municipal Court bench in February, 2017 and subsequently elected to serve the remainder of that unexpired term. I am running for the full term of this same seat in this election.                             

Prior to becoming a judge, I served my community as an assistant prosecutor for over 23 years. I prosecuted at all levels of that office, including appellate, felony, juvenile and municipal. These cases included murder, sexual assault, drug trafficking and crimes against the most vulnerable in our society. In my capacity as Chief Assistant Prosecutor of the Municipal Division, I worked closely with all of the law enforcement agencies that serve Hamilton County, the public defender’s office and with the members of the Hamilton County judiciary. I also served as a substitute magistrate for over 15 years for local mayors’ courts, handling criminal and traffic matters. Over the course of my career I have always shown a respect for the Constitution and for the dignity of the parties appearing before me. From all of these experiences, I have developed the patience, dedication and recognition that municipal court cases vary in degrees of seriousness, requiring a judge to make informed decisions as to punishment, rehabilitation and recognition and protection of the rights of victims.

I have been a dedicated and committed member of the west side community my entire life.  I grew up here, own a home here and chose to raise my children here.  I bring that same sense of dedication and commitment to the bench and the citizens of Hamilton County.  I came to the bench with a great deal of legal experience, having served as an assistant prosecutor for over 23 years. I prosecuted in all criminal divisions of that office, including Appellate, Felony, Juvenile and Municipal.   Over the course of those two decades, I prosecuted thousands of cases, including murders, rapes, drug trafficking, theft, and crimes against the most vulnerable of our citizens. Four years prior to taking the bench as Judge, I became Chief of the Municipal Division of the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office.  In that capacity, I worked closely with all law enforcement agencies that serve Hamilton County, and formed working relationships with the defense bar and the judges serving the citizens of this county.   I believe I can best serve my community in a role as Municipal Court Judge.  Over the course of my career, I have always shown a respect for the Constitution, and for the dignity of the parties appearing before me. Thank you for your consideration.