Jason P. Smith

Office: 4th District Court of Appeals

Age: 44

Residence: Ironton, OH

Email: jsmith@jasonsmithattorney.com

Website: http:/:facebook.com/ElectJasonSmithforCourtofAppeals

Occupation: Attorney

Education: B.A. in Political Science, Ohio University 1996; J.D. The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law 1999

Work Experience: I have been an assistant prosecutor, an in-house corporate attorney and for the last several years I’ve had my own practice focusing on criminal defense, divorce, custody and juvenile law.

Family: Married to Kelly Greco Smith with one 7-year-old daughter, Marley.

Affiliations: I am a Christian. I am a member of the Elks, a board member of the Ironton Country Club and I have been a tee ball coach.

Endorsements: U.S. Congressman Bill Johnson, Ohio Speaker of the House Ryan Smith, Ohio Senator Bob Peterson, Ohio Rep. Jay Edwards, Ohio Rep. Dr. Terry Johnson, Ohio Rep. Gary Scherer, Ohio Rep. Shane Wilkin, Washington County Sheriff Larry Mincks

Bar Association Ratings: N/A

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

I have never been a judge.

2) What about your non-judicial legal experience qualifies you to be a judge?

I have prosecuted and defended criminal cases, I have been in-house counsel for a corporation and I currently am in private practice doing criminal defense, divorce, custody and juvenile cases. I believe my experience in so many areas of law makes me uniquely qualified to be an appellate judge.

I believe there’s an alarming trend of judges legislating from the bench. I feel that a judge’s role is to interpret and apply the law fairly. I believe in the separation of powers – specifically, that the making of law and policy is the role of the legislature. Finally, I am a Constitutionalist who will limit my rulings accordingly.