Categories
Uncategorized

David Gormley

Office: For Judge of the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas, General Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Powell

Email: 

Website: 

Social Media: 

Occupation: Judge

Education:  B.A. from the University of Michigan; J.D. from Harvard University

Work Experience: Judge since 2008; Attorney since 1990

Family: 

Affiliations: 

Endorsements: 

Bar Association Ratings: 

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)
I have served as a trial judge for 12 years. I’m currently a judge on the Court of Common Pleas in Delaware County (General Division), where I handle felony criminal cases and a variety of civil cases. I was elected in 2014 and began serving on that court in February 2015. From January 2008 until February 2015, I served as a judge on the Delaware Municipal Court, where I handled misdemeanor criminal cases, traffic cases, and civil cases. I was elected to that job in 2007, and I was reelected in 2013. I understand the tough calls that trial judges must make during jury trials and in their other work, I have imposed sentences in hundreds of criminal and traffic cases, and I think I have earned a well-deserved reputation for being a fair, hard-working, courteous, and humble judge.

I served for four years (2004-2007) as the Director of Legal Resources for the Supreme Court of Ohio, which essentially means that I was the in-house legal counsel at that court. While in that role, I worked closely with then-Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was a wonderful mentor for me. From 1997 until 2003, I worked in the Ohio Attorney General’s office under then-Attorney General Betty Montgomery. From 2000 until 2003, I served in that office as the State Solicitor of Ohio, which means that I oversaw the office’s appellate work in the Supreme Court of the United States, the Supreme Court of Ohio, and other state and federal appellate courts. From 1993 until 1997, and then again for several months in 2003, I served as an assistant prosecuting attorney for Delaware County. In that role, I prosecuted many felony cases including a death-penalty murder case, and I also represented county elected officials and agencies. Earlier in my legal career (1991-1993), I served as an associate at the Jenner & Block law firm in Chicago. And during the first year after I graduated from Harvard Law School in 1990, I served as a law clerk for Judge Albert Engel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. I bring a broad range of judicial and legal experience to my work, and I look forward to serving another six-year term at the common-pleas court.

I think that the public expects judges on any court to be knowledgeable about the law and about life, to be level-headed and patient, to be good listeners who are open-minded, and to issue prompt and well-reasoned decisions. I bring to this race a track record of serving as that kind of judge for 12 years, and there is no better way to evaluate how a judge might handle his or her work in the future than to examine how that judge has performed in the past. I’m very proud of my 12 years of service as a trial judge, and I think that my experience in that role ensures that my court will remain strong and steady in the years ahead. I also think that I bring the kind of academic credentials and legal experience that the public rightly expects from judges on our most important courts. I was the valedictorian of my high-school class in 1983, and I graduated from Harvard Law School in 1990. I’ve argued before the Supreme Court of the United States, I’ve handled numerous high-profile and complex cases as a lawyer and as a judge, and I’ve demonstrated time and again that I approach my work in a non-ideological way and without any bias or prejudice. I enjoy intellectually challenging work, I think that I’m a strong writer, and I like handling a variety of civil and criminal cases. My experience of working in the public sector and in the private sector, of working in large offices and small ones, of handling trial work and appellate work, and of serving as both a lawyer and as a judge equips me well to continue to handle the important work of deciding cases at my court. I am grateful that this site gives me the chance to share some information about my background, and I commend those voters who are seeking out information about their judicial candidates. Judges can have a huge impact on their communities, and I think it’s vital that we choose smart, capable, hard-working, and experienced people for all of our judicial offices.