Categories
Uncategorized

Jon Oldham

Office: Akron Municipal Court

Residence: Akron, OH

Email: jonoldham17@gmail.com

Website: www.oldhamforjudge.com – Website
Judge Jon Oldham Committee – Facebook

Occupation: Judge

Education: J.D. from the University of Akron; B.S. from Ohio University; Walsh Jesuit High School

Work Experience: Judge of the Akron Municipal Court (2015 to present); Summit County Probate Court Magistrate (2013 to 2015); Akron Municipal Court Part-Time Visiting Magistrate (2012 to 2013); Private Practice Attorney (2002 to 2013)

Family: Married with 3 children

Affiliations: Presiding Judge of Akron Recovery Court; Administrative/Presiding Judge of the Akron Municipal Court; Trustee of the Great Trail Council of the Boy Scouts of America; Trustee of CHC Addiction Services Foundation; Member of Oriana House Advisory Committee; Former Trustee of The Victim Assistance Program; Former Trustee of the Akron Bar Association; Former Committee Member of the Conservancy for the Cuyahoga Valley National Park; Former Volunteer Attorney for the Community Legal Aid, Open M Clinic; Member of Akron Bar Association; Fellow of the Akron Bar Foundation; NAACP Life Member, CYO Certified Soccer Coach

Bar Association Ratings:  Rated ‘EXCELLENT’ by the Akron Bar Association

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):
Judge of the Akron Municipal Court (2015 to present); Administrative/Presiding Judge of the Akron Municipal Court (2019); Presiding Judge of Akron Recovery Court (2015 to present); Summit County Probate Court Magistrate (2013 to 2015); Akron Municipal Court Part-Time Visiting Magistrate (2012 to 2013).

The breadth of my legal experience in private practice provides me with a unique skill set to serve as a fair, efficient, and decisive judge. For over a decade, I represented practically all types of parties: criminal defendants and victims, large and small businesses, wealthy and indigent individuals, insurance companies and personal injury victims, landlords and tenants, and creditors and debtors. Such variability in perspectives has not caused me to be plaintiff oriented or defense oriented, or soft on crime or a hanging judge. Instead, I make fair decisions as justice requires. As a judge with a firm foundation in private practice, I can anticipate where a case is heading, and I can play an active role working toward a fair resolution for all parties. For example, I am able to identify client control issues, I have an understanding of what a fair result of a dispute should be, and I can appreciate the amount of work and money required to see a lawsuit through trial. Through my work representing clients, I also understand the emotional and financial stress many individuals face when they find themselves in the legal system. As a judge, I bring all these insights to the bench. With my experience, I understand a balance between a swift docket and depriving parties of due process or their day in court. Civil and criminal litigants need a judge who rules quickly, decisively, and consistently. However, the goal of a swift docket must be balanced with due process and adjudicating cases on their merits instead of ruling on a technicality, if the law so permits. Through my work as an attorney, I also understand the importance of a fair, even tempered, and compassionate judge. Judges must treat all people with dignity and respect. Judges do not improve a criminal offender’s course in life with indifference or yelling; but by taking the time to explain to an offender why he or she is receiving a sentence, and what future consequences they face if they do not change their current course. A judge achieves only public distrust when he or she is arrogant, entitled, shrill, or uses his or her title for self-advancement.  

I am running for re-election as Judge of the Akron Municipal Court because I thoroughly enjoy serving as Judge and I am committed to making our community as safe and strong as possible. I have never sought another type of public office and have served on the bench as a Magistrate in two courts before being elected as Judge in 2015. My judicial record shows that I make sound decisions and hold offenders accountable for their actions while utilizing the counseling and treatment resources available in our community. I am grateful to serve as Judge because I see firsthand the positive impact I am able to have on people appearing before me. In criminal matters, I strive to merge treatment with accountability in order to provide offenders with the proper tools to build a stronger foundation to be productive citizens. In civil matters, I work to make sure the cases are resolved efficiently in order to reduce financial and emotional stress on the parties. As Presiding Judge of Akron Recovery Court, I have the great opportunity to work closely with participants as they battle the disease of addiction. I embrace this opportunity with open arms because our community needs and deserves a Judge who is ready, willing, and able to use evidence-based practices to help people overcome obstacles and become better parents, spouses, siblings, children, and citizens. I am fortunate to work with a dedicated and talented Recovery Court Team and I hope to continue working with them for many years to come. As a father, husband, and life-long Summit County resident, I want the best for my family and yours. I am rated EXCELLENT by the Akron Bar Association. I respectfully ask for your vote on November 5.