Categories
Uncategorized

Renee M. DiSalvo

Office: Youngstown Municipal Court

Residence: Youngstown

Email: renee.disalvo@ymail.com

Website: www.retainjudgereneedisalvo.com

Occupation: Judge, Youngstown Municipal Court

Education: BA Youngstown State University 1993; JD University of Akron School of Law 1996

Work Experience:
Youngstown Municipal Court Judge (11/2018-present) Prior to taking the bench I had 21 years of working as General Practitioner/Trial attorney for both civil and criminal clients in firms and private practice settings. I taught criminal justice classes and women studies classes at YSU and Kent State Universities and was an OPOTA (Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy) instructor. I served as a part-time Mahoning County Common Pleas Mediator and Assistant Prosecutor for City of Youngtown Law Department. I worked for firms, local government and owned a private practice.

Family: I am a recently married to Michael D. Ramun and we have a beautifully blended family of 2 sons, 2 wonderful daughter in laws and 5 grandchildren. We had one son, who recently lost his battle with substance abuse.

Affiliations: I am an active member of Victory Christian Center and New Life Church. I also am a member of the Association of Municipal and Judges of Ohio, Ohio State Bar Association and Mahoning County Bar Association and am active the bar association’s Access to Justice, Lawyers Assistance and Memorial Committees. I am Executive Director of the Meet Me At The Cross organization which is founded for the purpose of promoting unity, and on the Board of Directors for Bair Foundation, an organization which finds fostor homes for the most at risk and vulnerable children. I also am a member of the Latino Network of Youngstown, aimed at supporting and enhancing the lives of our Latino community.

Endorsements:I am proud to be endorsed by the UAW, Youngstown Warren Black Caucus and UAW.

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):
List your judicial experience (courts and years) Youngstown Municipal Court, 11/5/2018 to present

I always say I didn’t choose law, it chose me. As a victim of domestic violence, a single mother on public assistance and daughter taking care of aging parents I am personally and uniquely aware of the many struggles and pressures that could lead one into the criminal justice system. I also know how vital a positive support system is during these tenuous times. When deciding how I would support my son and myself one thing was certain, I needed to be a catalyst for change and a conduit for hope. Law was the avenue to achieve those things. Prior to taking the bench I was a multi-county trial attorney serving my clients in civil and criminal matters. The clients I served were representative of the diversity I see on the bench daily. Serving in many jurisdictions, before various judges has afforded me the opportunity to garner experience and knowledge of the law, procedure and alternative methods of dealing with problems. As an attorney I was involved in the formation of this area’s first Veteran’s Court and have utilized treatment courts for clients suffering from substance abuse and mental health disorders. As a juvenile guardian ad litem I became a voice for the voiceless. I have acted as a pro-bono attorney for many, providing them the equal access to justice they deserve. My integrity, character and reputation remain positive and solid in the legal community and community at large. My experience as an attorney has shown me poverty, drug abuse and the mental health disorders are primary root causes of the criminal behavior we see in this area. I have always taken holistic and a pro-active approach with my clients. I understand that treatment options must be considered in sentencing as well as other rehabilitative options to minimize repeat criminal behavior. While incarceration may be necessary for some individuals, treatment and support may be what works for others. I am able to discern and develop individual modalities to accomplish the purposes of sentencing while assisting these individuals to improve themselves and become productive citizens.

I was born and raised in Youngstown and have seen how vital a role the Court can play. Corruption, biases and poor decisions by local government officials and even the courts have shaken public trust and confidence. I believe I have and continue to help restore the integrity, trust and confidence that must be present in our Court. I have accomplished much since becoming judge and there are many more things I would like to accomplish to help keep our city safe while improving the lives of those who appear before me. I have formed our areas first Victims of Human Trafficking Court, and am awaiting Supreme Court certification as a specialized court. I developed a mental health pilot program and expanded my court’s existing suspended license intervention program so that more defendants can qualify for participation. Finally I organized local courts, agencies and the BMV in order to hold suspended license clinics for the community to assist them in becoming valid drivers. My future plans include developing a “Getting Ahead” program based on “Bridges Out Of Poverty” to help combat generational poverty which negatively effects our city. My character is founded on my Christian beliefs. I accept and see everyone equally regardless of race, religion, political or sexual persuasion or other socially defining characteristics. I possess the ability to apply the law to the facts and to understand how a judicial decision will affect the human beings appearing before the court and have the courage to uphold the law even if the result is not the popular one. My approach is a holistic one. I am able to communicate with counsel, jurors, witnesses and parties calmly and courteously, as well as listen to and consider what is said on all sides of a debatable proposition. I consistently demonstrate patience, open-mindedness, courtesy, tact, courage, punctuality, firmness, understanding, compassion, humility and common sense. As stated before, I desire to continue serving the citizens of Youngstown by seeking truth, justice and by offering help and assistance to those who need it most and do what is necessary to keep our community safe.