Categories
Uncategorized

Becky Doherty

Office: For Judge of the Portage County Court of Common Pleas, General Division
Term Beginning 1/1/2021

Residence: Ravenna

Email: 

Website: Judgedoherty.com

Social Media: facebook.com/judgedoherty

Occupation: Portage County Common Pleas Judge

Education: University of Akron

Work Experience: Common Pleas Judge 6 years, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Summit County 18 years, Chief Criminal Prosecutor Mahoning County 5 years, In house counsel Allstate 18 months, Law Director Village of Lakemore 8 years

Family: 2 children, 4 grandchildren

Affiliations: Habitat for Humanity, Board President; FOP Portage County; Portage County Bar Association; HOPE Court advisory board-Coleman Professional, Townhall II, Compass Recovery, Hope Village, Mental Health and Recovery

Endorsements: not issued yet

Bar Association Ratings: not issued yet

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years)
Common Pleas Judge Portage County since January 1, 2015. I handle approximately 700 criminal and over 300 civil cases a year.

Experience and commitment is vital to effectively do this job. I have tried over 200 jury trials including Aggravated Murder, Rape, Kidnapping, Aggravated Robbery, complex Organized Crime, and Drug Trafficking. I have prosecuted 22 Death Penalty cases both in Summit County and Mahoning County. I tried numerous personal injury cases while representing insured defendants. I am active in the community and understand the responsibility of the Court to be transparent and visible.

I love the law and my job, and will continue to work hard to make our communities safer and healthier. I started HOPE Drug Court soon after I took office and was certified by the Ohio Supreme Court March 2017. Our unique program combines stringent counseling and accountability to prepare participants for life after court. HOPE Court won the Celebrate Portage Public Health Initiative Award in 2019 due to the team’s dedication and commitment to the program. The Paris Work Release Program I initiated gives select jail inmates the opportunity to work while incarcerated to save money, pay fines prepare for housing, pay child support and be employed upon release. My position gives me the ability to address the drug epidemic in a profound way, while protecting the community at the same time.

I have the experience to handle complex criminal and civil cases in a manner that is fair to all parties. I believe it is imperative that a common pleas Judge possess litigation skills to effectively and correctly handle the vast array of cases assigned to the courts. I have that experience, and utilize it every day on the bench.