David Hamilton

Office: Akron Municipal Court

Residence: Akron, OH

Email: david.hamilton.esq@gmail.com

Website:
www.votedavidhamilton.com
www.facebook.com/hamiltonforjudge

Occupation: County Councilman, District 5

Education: J.D. – Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law, Bachelor’s – University of Akron

Work Experience: Summit County Council Jan. 2017 – present; Akron Municipal Court, Judicial Attorney, Dec. 2017 – April 2019; Littlejohn Law Office, Attorney & Guardian ad Litem, May 2016 – Dec. 2017; City of Akron Law Dept., Asst. Director of Law/City Prosecutor, Jan. 2013 – Jan. 2016

Family: Single

Affiliations: Leadership Akron Class 34; Community Hero Award, Schumacher CLC 2018; Fitzgerald Student Leader Award; Community Genius Fellowship Awardee, BMe 2018; Chair, Summit County Jail Advisory Commission; Board Member and former Chair of Bylaws Committee, AxessPointe Community Health Center; Board Member, The First Tee of Greater Akron; Board Member, Summit County Land Reutilization Corporation; Former Student Mentor, School of Business and Entrepreneurship (SOBE): Cuyahoga Valley Christian Academy; Court Appointed Special Advocate C.A.S.A.; Ally, Akron Summit Community Action Inc., Circles of Summit County; Volunteer, Sarah’s House; Former Board Member, Victim Assistance; Former Board Member, Kiwanis: Circle K Student Supervisor; Former Akron NAACP legal chair

Bar Association Ratings:  Adequate by Akron Bar Association Commission on Judicial Candidates; https://youbethejudgesummitcounty.com/akron-municipal-court-unexpired-term/

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):
Akron Municipal Court, Judicial Attorney – Dec. 17 – May 19

Outside of my time at law school at Western Michigan University, I have lived in the Akron Municipal Court District my entire life. I’ve had the responsibility of serving my community as an Assistant Prosecutor for the City of Akron, and currently as a Summit County Councilman representing Akron, Fairlawn Bath and Copley. My experiences living in the court district, and serving the community as an Assistant Prosecutor and County Councilman provide me with a unique and in-depth understanding of what justice looks like. More importantly, however, my experiences would help me in making the right decisions. My top priority when elected to the Akron Municipal Court will be to use my knowledge and experiences to keep our community safe, apply impartial justice, and keep myself and my staff connected to the community, while sitting on the bench.  

I have the knowledge, experience, and commitment to get to work immediately as an Akron Municipal Court Judge. As a former Assistant prosecutor with the City of Akron, judicial attorney with the Akron Municipal Court, and the current District 5 County Council representative, I know the value of public service. I know firsthand the impact public service has on the daily lives of people and businesses. In my race, I am better suited to use that knowledge and experience to make decisions impacting the court district. If elected, I will combine my experience in those roles, with my education, to make careful and just decisions for those appearing before the Court. Representation and diversity matters. If elected to the Akron Municipal Court, I would bring more diversity in thought and life experiences. I strive every day to be an involved and model citizen. As Judge, I would be in the public eye even more, and provide the community with an example of how to carry yourself. I would strive to use my platform for good; making impartial decisions, being tough on those proven to have violated our laws, and encouraging those in my courtroom to reform, while also providing justice. Keeping our community safe, applying impartial justice, and staying connected to the community are critical in the daily roles of a Municipal Court Judge. I will strive to do all three and more if elected to the Akron Municipal Court.