Don W. Fraser

Office: For Judge of the Union County Court of Common Pleas, General/Domestic Relations Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Marysville

Email: dfraser@co.union.oh.us

Website: 

Social Media: 

Occupation: Judge, Union County Common Pleas Court, General Division

Education: J.D. from Capital University Law School – 1979

Work Experience: Judge, 2009-Present; Private practice of law, 1979-2009

Family: 

Affiliations: Impact 60 Board Member; Union County Chamber of Commerce

Endorsements: 

Bar Association Ratings: 

It has been my honor and privilege to have served as Judge of the Union County Common Pleas Court, General Division, since February of 2009. I have been widely recognized for my proactive efforts and innovative treatment ideas in combating the drug problem in Union County. I established Union County’s first felony drug court in 2010. My drug court has been twice certified by the Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on Specialized Dockets.

I was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio and raised on the family farm just outside of Zanesfield, Ohio. I am the former managing partner of the law firm of Cannizzaro, Fraser, Bridges, Jillisky and Streng, LLC, a firm I co-founded with partner John Cannizzaro in 1982. During my 27 years at CFBJS, our law firm grew to become Marysville’s largest and achieved and thereafter maintained the highest possible rating by the Martindale-Hubbell Legal Network.

I graduated from The Ohio State University in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science degree from the College of Agriculture and from Capital University Law School in 1979. I was admitted to practice law by the Ohio Supreme Court in November, 1979, and thereafter admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, the United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. I was twice appointed by the Ohio Supreme Court to serve on the Ohio Public Defender Commission.

Before becoming judge, I was perhaps best known locally for my public service from 1995 through 2002 as a Union County Commissioner where I was recognized as a leader for my ability to work with both government and the public to create consensus, to effectively meet the demands of a growing community, and to deal with difficult decisions in a fair and impartial manner while following the law. While a commissioner, I served on the Board of Trustees of the County Commissioners’ Association of Ohio for 5 years.

During my tenure as judge, my staff and I have effectively handled an ever increasing number of pending criminal, civil and domestic cases. We are committed to serving the public and ensuring that every case is handled with fairness, impartiality, and efficiently managed. I am readily accessible to, and enjoy a good working relationship with the lawyers who practice in my court. I am committed to helping those who need help and who are willing to change and work closely with the Union County Mental Health and Recovery Board to ensure that mental health and addiction services are readily available right here in our county.

I am humbled and honored by the trust and confidence placed in me by the citizens of Union County. Thank you for the privilege of allowing me to serve as your Common Pleas Judge.