Edward Elum

Office: Massillon Municipal Court, Stark County, Ohio

Residence: Massillon, OH

Email: N/A

Website: N/A

Occupation: Judge

Education: J.D from Ohio Northern University. BBA from University of Notre Dame. Certificate of Management from The Ohio State University.

Work Experience: Judge for 24 years. Former Assistant Attorney General, Assistant Prosecutor, Private Practioner. Local Business Owner.

Family: Married to wife Margaret for 33 years. Two adult children

Affiliations: Catholic. Numerous Civic, Community & Professional Affiliations

Endorsements: N/A

Bar Association Ratings:  Highly Recommended by Stark County Bar Association

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):
Massillon Municipal Court for 24 years as Administrative Judge 1996 to present. As Judge, I initiated Stark County’s first Theft, Alcohol and Drug Diversion Program (2008). I established a Drivers License Recovery Program in 2016 with the assistance of the BMV Regional Office in Canton. The Court established Mandatory Mediation for the Court’s Civil Docket in 1999. I established a Landlord-Tenant Mediation and Assistance Program in 2014 with the assistance of The Massillon Salvation Army and West Stark Homeless Task Force which I founded in 2006. The Court under my leadership proposed and implemented with our Stark County Sheriff and Stark County Mental Health and Recovery Board, the area’s first Alcohol and Drug Treatment Program (AoD) at the Stark County Jail in 2003. This Court established the first Veterans Treatment Court in 1997 (not specialized docket) with the assistance of former Judge Richard T. Kettler (Capt.US Air Force-retired & Vietnam Veteran), the local Veterans Administration Medical Center, Canton, Ohio and Stark County Veterans Service Commission. Established Probation Offices in a building next to the courthouse to house TASC, Coleman Behavioral Health, Stark County Jail AoD Aftercare, Community Service Workers classroom, Mens Challenge, Stark County Veterans Service Commission regional office, Stark County Public Defender local office, State of Ohio Adult Probation & Parole and Probate Court’s Angels Program. All programs listed above are free to court defendants and the community. The Agency’s local offices do not pay rent. This building also houses the Court’s Continuity of Operations Center (COC) as described below Established a Continuity of Operations Plan & Facilities (the first in Stark County) in a building outside of the Courthouse to house court operations in the event of a disaster or unavailability of courthouse facilities. This Facility is also available to first responders, Red Cross, law enforcement & fire/EMS personnel if needed.

I was a local businessman in addition to practicing law prior to becoming judge. I have been involved with my community since 1970 in many volunteer and charitable events to support the community at large including, educational institutions, hospitals, museums, veterans organizations, historical associations, main street rehabilitation, churches of all denominations, civic & chamber events, recreational activities and parks. I have coached youth baseball, basketball and football for over 20 years which has assisted me in mentoring young men & women to continue their education and sports endeavors. I have volunteered for 20 years to participate in the Stark County Bar Association Law Day Committee’s “Ask a Lawyer” that is televised to students and the general public through MCTV. Further, I am a cast member of Courthouse Players for over 10 years, comprised of local attorneys and judges, that produce quality law related plays to students, historical associations & the general public that relate to the Rule of Law and delivers a Law Day theme to the audience.

I have made a difference in helping my community and the people who use the courts. The court’s established programs over the last 24 years have improved everyone’s access to justice, treatment options for alcohol, drug & mental health services and educated the public on their local justice system. The court staff, under my leadership, has a continuous improvement program, to be responsive to the general public, witnesses, victims of crime, the lawyers who practice in the Massillon Municipal Court and their clients. I am the most qualified person to run and be re-elected as Judge of the Massillon Municipal Court