Hugh A . Carlin

Office: For Judge of the Eighth District Court of Appeals
Term Beginning 2/11/2021

Party Affiliation: Democrat

Residence: Rocky River

Email: CarlinForJudge@gmail.com

Website: 

Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/CarlinForJudge/

Occupation: Magistrate, Cuyahoga County Probate Court (2015-Present)

Education: J.D. from the University of Akron (1983); B.A. from Cleveland State University (1974); High School Diploma from St. Ignatius High School (1970).

Work Experience: Hugh A. Carlin, Co., LPA (1983-2015); Rocky River Municipal Court Magistrate (2008-2015); Psychiatric Magistrate, Probate Court (2007-2015).

Family: Married for 36 Years to my wife, Debbie. Two children: Caitlin and Kevin. One dog: Molly.

Affiliations: West Shore Bar Association (Former Trustee, Current Vice President); St. Ignatius High School Father’s Club (Former President); American Heart Association (Former Volunteer for Development); West Side Irish American Club (Member).

Endorsements: 

Bar Association Ratings: January 2020 Ratings: Excellent (Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association); Excellent (Cuyahoga County Criminal Defense Lawyers); Excellent (Ohio Women’s Bar Association); Excellent (Asian American Bar Association); Good (Norman S. Minor Bar Association).

Magistrate, Cuyahoga County Probate Court (2015-Present). Magistrate, Rocky River Municipal Court (2008-2015). Psychiatric Magistrate, Probate Court (2007-2015).

For over 32 years, I engaged in a diverse general practice of law in the areas of Civil law, Criminal Law, Probate law, and Trust law. I practiced in municipal courts, county common pleas court, state appellate courts, federal appellate courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court. As a private practitioner, I devoted my legal practice to protecting the rights of my clients through zealous advocacy. This was important to me especially because many of my clients were marginalized and were victims of mental, physical, and financial exploitation. I am confident that my almost four decades of combined legal experience both as a private practitioner and as a Magistrate in various courts provides me with the experience necessary to be a Judge.

I am running to become a Judge on the 8th District Court of Appeals because my multi-faceted, diverse legal experience best qualifies me as an appellate judge. The 8th District Court of Appeals presides over cases from a variety of courts concerning legal issues from various areas of civil and criminal law. As a private practitioner and Magistrate, I have handled and decided a multitude of such civil and criminal issues that can be subsequently reviewed on appeal to the 8th District Court of Appeals. Furthermore, as a lifelong resident of Cuyahoga County, I believe that I have the ability to understand the strengths and weaknesses of our community and how they relate to our citizens. It is my strong desire to become an appellate Judge as a way to give back to the legal profession and citizens of Cuyahoga County by applying an equitable implementation of the law and setting precedent to protect the rights of current and future litigants. In conclusion and based on my overall experience, I am confident that I will be a Judge who can utilize the law as a tool of justice in providing the citizens of Cuyahoga County with honest, fair, and impartial appellate decisions.