James W. Satola

Office: For Judge of the Eighth District Court of Appeals
Unexpired Term Ending 1/1/2023

Party Affiliation: Democrat

Residence: University Heights

Email: Contact@satolaforjudge.com

Website: www.satolaforjudge.com

Social Media: www.facebook.com/satolaforjudge/; www.linkedin.com/in/james-w-satola-baa17613

Occupation: Attorney

Education:  J.D., Case Western Reserve School of Law; B.S., Zoology, The Ohio State University

Work Experience: 
Litigation (Private Practice and Worldwide Law Firm)

Family: 

Affiliations: Past Chair, 3Rs Program (Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association & Cleveland Municipal School District)

Bar Association Ratings: 

Judicial Law Clerk, United States District Judge John M. Manos, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio; Hearing Officer, Cuyahoga County Board of Revision.

LEGAL QUALIFICATIONS: Federal Bar Association, Circuit Vice President for the Sixth Circuit (National Officer) (2010-2016); Senior Attorney, Squire, Sanders & Dempsey LLP (1991-2010); Law Clerk to United States District Judge John M. Manos, United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio (1989-1991); Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings; Ohio Super Lawyers (2006) (Top 5% of Attorneys in Ohio); Life Member, Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference (2006 to Present); Sustaining Life Charter Member, Foundation of the Federal Bar Association; Past President, Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter (2002-2003); Barrister, John M. Manos Inn of Court (American Inns of Court); Case Western Reserve Law Review, Articles Editor; Member of the Bar, Supreme Court of the United States, United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, United States Courts of Appeal for the Second, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Judicial Circuits, United States District Courts for the District of Arizona, Northern District of Ohio, and Southern District of Ohio; District of Columbia Court of Appeals and Supreme Court of Ohio.

PUBLISHED ARTICLES: How Magistrate Judges Are Selected, Appointed, and Reappointed (The Federal Lawyer, National Publication of the Federal Bar Association, May/June 2014); Thank You, William K. Suter, 19th Clerk of Court, U.S. Supreme Court (The Federal Lawyer, National Publication of the Federal Bar Association, September 2013); Judicial Profile, Hon. Gregory White, U.S. Magistrate Judge, Northern District of Ohio (The Federal Lawyer, National Publication of the Federal Bar Association, March 2013); Judicial Profile, Senior United States District Judge Lesley Brooks Wells (Inter Alia, Newsletter of the FBA Northern District of Ohio Chapter, Fall 2006); A Primer on the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (Cleveland Bar Journal, October 2003); Judicial Profile, Senior United States District Judge John M. Manos (Inter Alia, Newsletter of the FBA Northern District of Ohio Chapter, Winter 2001); Non-U.S. Law Firms, How to Enforce Your Foreign Trade Secrets in the U.S. (International Commercial Litigation Magazine, January 1999); Taking the Early Flight Out to Pasture: The Second Circuit Adds a New Wrinkle to Voluntary Early Retirement Under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (Case Western Reserve Law Review, 1989); Portrait of Professor Thomas Irwin Emerson, Yale Law School.

I have aspired to be a judge since the day I entered law school almost 34 years ago. It is the reason I chose to begin my legal career with a clerkship with a legendary federal judge who was not only a fine judge, but also a dedicated teacher, where I received training and guidance on what it takes to be a dedicated judge. It is the reason I sought a litigation practice with a worldwide leading law firm, which allowed me to gain experience and exposure to a wide range of the law and cases in both state and federal courts, in matters simple and complex. It is also the reason I have been active in bar activities related to judicial matters and the trial process. For me, judicial service is not just a job, but a calling.

As to the specific qualifications and qualities I believe I would bring to the position of judge, I hope I have identified and expressed them in my answers provided for this questionnaire. I believe being a good judge requires above all an ability to listen, as well as possession of the qualities of intelligence, understanding, patience, respect, a calm and positive demeanor, and a sincere commitment to fairness. I believe I possess these qualities, and I have been fortunate to have had others express these sentiments about me throughout my legal career.