Jennifer O’Donnell

Office: For Judge of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, General Division
Unexpired Term Ending 1/2/2023

Party Affiliation: Democrat

Residence: Rocky River

Email: jodonnellesq15@gmail.com

Website: https://www.jenniferodonnellforjudge.com

Social Media: Facebook: Jennifer O’Donnell for Judge

Occupation: Assistant Public Defender, Office of the Cuyahoga County Public Defender

Education:  J.D. – Case Western Reserve School of Law B.A. – Denison University

Work Experience: 
Indigent criminal defense with the Public Defender’s Office since 2008

Family: Married with a 2 year old son

Affiliations: Rocky River Democratic Club, Cleveland Stonewall Democrats, Cuyahoga Democratic Women’s Caucus, Cuyahoga Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Ohio Women’s Bar Association, AFSCME Local 3631 – member, North Shore AFL-CIO Delegate

Endorsements: North Shore AFL-CIO, Plumbers UA Local 55, AFSCME Council 8, Formerly Incarcerated Individuals Necessary Political Action Committee, various community leaders and elected officials

Bar Association Ratings: Judge4Yourself

None. I am a first-time candidate for Judge.

As a career public defender, I have represented thousands of members of our community who cannot afford an attorney within the Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court. Prior to practicing in the General Division, I practiced extensively in Juvenile Court representing indigent minors in delinquency matters and parents in dependency, abuse, and neglect cases involving temporary and permanent custody of children. In the General Division, I currently represent adults charged with felony offenses within Cuyahoga County at all stages of the court process. I have also handled a large variety of misdemeanor and traffic offenses within the City of Cleveland and the Cleveland Metroparks. My legal experienced as a public defender allows me to understand how barriers within the criminal justice system can negatively impact the life of a person involved with the court system long after their case is resolved. Through my work, I see the racial and economic disparities within our system and fight hard everyday to level the playing field. I will bring not only my qualifications as an experienced attorney, but also a level of compassion and sensitivity that makes me uniquely qualified to serve on the bench.

I have specifically chosen to run for the seat vacated by Justice Michael P. Donnelly because of the importance of continuing the great work that he did while on the bench. While his new position on the Supreme Court of Ohio is fantastic for our State, he left very large shoes to fill here in Cuyahoga County. It would be an honor to carry on his legacy of fairness, transparency, and thoughtfulness as a Judge. In my current role as a public defender, I am a unique candidate for Judge. None of the 34 current sitting Judges in Cuyahoga County have this professional background. Through this experience, I am afforded an “up close & personal” view of the criminal justice system in Cuyahoga County. This perspective allows me to see the urgent need for Judges to work with county government to improve conditions in the Cuyahoga County Jail. Additionally, I will work tirelessly for bail reform and expanded mental health & substance abuse services for defendants. I am also aware that our courtrooms could work more efficiently, and I am committed utilizing resources and technical assistance whenever available to modernize and streamline our dockets. I am a working parent with a family, a career, and an active civic engagement calendar. I am a life-long Democrat with strong ties to the labor community and a proud member of AFSCME Local 3631. I advocate for women’s rights, LGBTQ equality, and economic justice. I am also an active member of the Rocky River Democratic Club and my precinct committee person. I believe that my legal experience, labor background, and Democratic ideals prepare me to serve as a Judge in Cuyahoga County with dignity and compassion.