Julie A. Schafer

Office: For Judge of the Ninth District Court of Appeals
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Wadsworth

Email:  SaferwithSchafer2020@gmail.com

Website: http://www.SchaferforJudge.com

Social Media:  Twitter: @JudgeJulieS; Facebook: JudgeJulieSchafer

Occupation: Judge

Education:  J.D. University of Akron, MBA University of Akron

Work Experience: Judge, Ninth District Court of Appeals, 2015-present; Judge – Akron Municipal Court

Family: Single, bio Daughter Morgan McKee is an attorney in Wheeling, WV; 3 adopted children ages 12, 10 and 7.

Affiliations: Akron Bar Association; Akron Bar Foundation; Lorain County Bar Association; Medina County Bar Association; Wayne County Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Lakeside Christian Church; Medina County Farm Bureau; Medina County Republican Women; Ohio Poultry Association; National Rifle Association; Summit County Foster Parent Association; WCS Parent Teacher Association

Endorsements: The Cleveland Plain Dealer https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2020/09/julie-a-schafer-for-9th-ohio-district-court-of-appeals.html

Bar Association Ratings: 

Judge, Ninth District Court of Appeals, 2015-present. Judge, Akron Municipal Court, 2014

I actively practiced law daily from 2002 until taking the bench as Judge in 2014. I focused my practice mainly on domestic, juvenile and probate issues in many courts and in many counties. I also represented children as a CASA and as a guardian ad litem in both domestic and juvenile courts. My countless courtroom experiences as an attorney provided me with a solid foundation in the legal process and in courtroom procedures. Understanding the issues my clients faced enabled me to be a fair and compassionate advocate on their behalf and brought stability to their lives.

Further, my legal training helped me tremendously while serving on the Copley-Fairlawn School Board for 14 years. I have a keen understanding of how administrative agencies operate and brought that knowledge to my service on the board. I received mediation training from the Ohio Supreme Court and was a mediator for Summit County Juvenile Court for many years, helping families to resolve sticky issues of child care and custody.

I am seeking a second term as Judge on the Ninth District Court of Appeals because I am the best candidate for the job.

I currently have five years of experience in this seat and have heard over 1,000 cases and been the author judge of nearly 400 opinions. I have heard capital murder post-conviction appeals, criminal, misdemeanor, and traffic appeals; civil appeals that include medical malpractice, corporate and contractual disputes, and evictions among many others. Family courts produce divorce and post-decree divorce appeals, spousal support, child support and child custody appeals. Juvenile courts frequently terminate parental rights and I have heard many, many permanent custody appeals. The list goes on to include many others including administrative appeals such as student expulsions and worker’s compensation.

I served as Administrative Judge in 2017 and Presiding Judge in 2018 – the year we moved the entire Court from the Ocasek Building after 33 years to Main Place. I am the only one of the five judges who doesn’t live in Summit County, bringing diversity to the Court – nearly 700,000 of the districts’ residents live in Lorain, Medina and Wayne Counties.

I love the randomnicity of this position – every day brings a new assortment of disputes looking for a resolution and I eagerly seek a sound, lawful, legal opinion that brings closure for the parties. I am running for this seat because I hold service to others as a high calling and humbly ask for the opportunity to continue to serve as Judge of the Ninth District Court of Appeals.