Maureen O’Connor

CJ O'Connor

Office: Chief Justice, Supreme Court of Ohio

Residence: Akron, OH

Email: mocscp@aol.com

Website: N/A

Occupation: Chief Justice

Education: JD. Cleveland Marshall College of Law

Work Experience: Chief Justice 2011-present; Associate Justice 2003-2011; Lt. Governor & Dir. of the Dept. of Public Safety 1999-2002; Prosecuting Attorney, Summit County 1995-1999; Common Pleas Judge 1993-1995; Probate Court Magistrate 1985-1993; Private Practice 1981-1985

Family: 2 children 5 grandchildren

Affiliations: Catholic

Endorsements: N/A

Bar Association Ratings: N/A

Chief Justice 2011-present; Associate Justice 2003-2011; Common Pleas Judge 1993-1995; Probate Court Magistrate 1985-1993

As an attorney in private practice and as prosecuting attorney for Summit County I represented clients in state court hearings and trials, in appellate courts and in Federal court. That experience, along with my experience as a magistrate and common pleas judge, stood me in good stead when I was elected to the bench as a justice on the Ohio Supreme Court. I understand the difficult role of an attorney and have witnessed the good that attorneys and the courts have accomplished for clients. Experience both before and on the bench has allowed me to fully understand and respect the role of an attorney and a judge.

I have had the privilege and honor of being chief justice since 1/1/2011. As chief justice I have handled the court’s docket, provided “hands on” administration of the branch and actively championed reforms. Under my administration, various task forces have issued reports and recommendations to the justices on the subject of the death penalty, court funding, and access to justice. The position of chief justice demands administrative experience and I have the administrative experience from my role as common pleas court administrative judge, prosecuting attorney and director of the department of public safety. I enjoy the administrative duties and have shown skill in doing the same. I fortunately have no opponent as I seek re-election to the position of chief justice. I believe this is partially due to my successes in championing the judicial branch and in working successfully with both the executive and legislative branches on behalf of the courts and the judiciary. I have projects and goals that I plan on completing during the next six year term. The most recent focus is a task force to examine the grand jury system and seek ways to elevate public confidence in the grand jury. I also am involved on the national level with the National Center for State Courts as a member of the board and co-chair of the Task Force on Fines, Fees and Bail. I have been elected by the chief justices of the country to the position of first vice-president of the Conference of Chief Justices and will become president in July of 2017. I have always used my law degree in the role of public servant and appreciate the opportunity to continue to do so as chief justice.