Michael C. Mentel

Office: For Judge of the Tenth District Court of Appeals
Full Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: Columbus

Email: info@michaelmentel.com

Website: www.michaelmentel.com

Social Media: 

Occupation: Attorney, Taft, Stettinius and Hollister

Education: Capital University School of Law (1988), Trinity College, Dublin Ireland (University of San Diego) (1985), Capital University (B.A., 1984)

Work Experience: Mike has worked as a public defender, as supervising attorney at the Ohio EPA, to his time as a Columbus City Councilmember and as Council President and over 30 years as an attorney

Family: Married to Marisa Mentel with two children, Angela and Connor

Affiliations: Past chair of the Columbus Catholic Diocese Bishops Annual Appeal, helped to establish the legal clinic at the Our Lady of Guadalupe Center, member of St. Michael’s Parish

Endorsements: Franklin County Democratic Party OAPSE/AFSCME Local 4, AFL-CIO The Ohio AFL-CIO International Association of Fire Fighters, Local 67 Stonewall Democrats of Central Ohio Columbus Building Trades Council Central Ohio Labor Council, AFL-CIO AFSCME Ohio Council 8 Official Irish Endorsement, by Order of George Doyle Gamber, President of the Shamrock Club of Columbus, Ohio Ohio Civil Service Employees Association, AFSCME Local 11 Baptist Pastor Alliance of Columbus and Vicinity Franklin County Adelante Democrats

Bar Association Ratings: 2020: Recommended by the Columbus Bar Association

I have not served as a Judge before but I have practiced law for over 30 years.

I have dedicated my life to service. In my professional career, I worked as a public defender, as supervising attorney at the Ohio EPA, to my time as a Columbus City Councilmember and as Council President. I has been an advocate for protecting and serving all people, especially our most vulnerable citizens. I was the recipient of the Community Shelter Board’s Leadership and Hero Award for his commitment to the homelessness situation in our community.

Throughout my 30 plus year career as an attorney I have devoted his career to others. I have devoted my personal time to our community as well, be it serving as a past chair of the Columbus Catholic Diocese Bishops Annual Appeal which provides necessary resources to our non-profit community or serving on the boards of several non-profit organizations tackling affordable housing, domestic violence and volunteering to assist immigrants, refugees and New Americans. I uniquely understand the experiences of all in our community, especially those who rarely have a voice at the table and will bring that experience to the 10th District Court of Appeals.

I am a partner at Taft, Stettinius and Hollister where I have been rated by my peers as a Best Lawyer in America by US News and World Report. I concentrate my practice in the areas of renewable energy, environmental law, regulatory compliance, contract law, working on complex litigation issues and government relations. I am admitted to practice in the United States Supreme Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, the United States District Courts of Ohio – Northern and Southern, and the State of Ohio.

My 31 years of practicing law have prepared me to serve on the Tenth District Court of Appeals. In that time, I have acquired the necessary experience and knowledge and have exemplified the necessary temperament to serve on the Court. I am the only candidate for this seat that brings almost 12 years of experience of working with a diverse, deliberative, decision-making body. This is in direct contrast to others who may only have experience of making autonomous decisions.

Treating colleagues with collegiality, being courteous and respectful to those whom I served with, as well as those who appeared before me, being decisive, fair and treating all with equality is how I held myself during my three terms on the Columbus City Council and throughout my career of 31 years. This is what I bring with me if elected to the Court.

My practice has encompassed serving as a public defender, as a staff attorney and supervising attorney to the Ohio EPA, as Chief Legal Officer to Ohio’s largest solid waste authority, as corporate general counsel, as a three-term elected official, and as an attorney in private practice. Each of these opportunities has allowed me to obtain a level of experience and knowledge that I can bring immediately to the court especially in the areas of energy and environmental law. The role and responsibility of a Court of Appeals judge is to apply the law to the facts of the case being presented to reach a fair and just decision. My knowledge, experience and demonstrated temperament over my 31 plus years of practice will allow me to do just that.