General information – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/ai/ai-for-accessibility-grants?activetab=pivot1%3aprimaryr2
Application page – https://ai4prod.microsoftcrmportals.com/AIAcccessibilityGrantApplication/
What challenges does the program focus on?
There is a world of opportunities when it comes to accessible and inclusive
technology for people with disabilities, and Microsoft is beginning this
program by focusing on three main challenges in the AI for Accessibility
program: Employment, Daily life, and Communication and connection.
The AI for Accessibility program awards grants in areas that are vital for
building a sustainable future:
- Employment: The unemployment rate for people with disabilities is more than double that of people without. We see opportunities in using AI to help people develop more advanced skills in the workplace and evolve the culture around inclusive hiring.
- Daily life: We see great opportunities in building modern solutions for people with disabilities by making software and devices smarter and more contextually relevant.
- Communication and connection: Communication is fundamental to providing equal access to information and opportunities. Lack of options excludes some from employment and society. Technology can create new possibilities regardless of how a person listens, speaks, or writes.
What types of grants do you offer?
Currently AI for Accessibility provides the following types of one-year
- Azure compute credits: This is the fast track to get you up and running on Azure AI Service with grants of Azure compute credits worth $10,000, $15,000, or $20,000 (depending on your project scope and needs).
- Azure compute credits Plus: In addition to Azure compute credits, these grants cover costs related to collecting or labeling data, developing models, or other engineering-related work. Applications are evaluated on their scientific merit, innovative use of AI technology, and potential for scalability.
How do I apply for a grant?
Submission: Submit your proposal via the online application form.
Deadline: There is no due date- we accept proposals on a rolling basis with grants awarded quarterly. Apply now via the online application form
Qualified applicants: We are open to everybody who has a great idea. AI for Accessibility is a call to action for developers, NGO’s, academics, researchers, and inventors to accelerate their work for people with disabilities. From a tinkerer in a basement to an established corporation, from students to professionals. This is a global program; grant applications from all countries in the world are eligible. If you are worried about not meeting all requirements, please connect to someone in your community who can support you and partner on an application.
Project proposal: The most important part of each application is a project proposal that describes the accessibility challenge addressed, the technical solution proposed, and its potential impact on people with disabilities. Please follow the application form and be as specific as possible. Your proposal should be written in English.
for Accessibility program provides access to advanced Microsoft Azure cloud
computing resources to individuals and organizations working on empowering
people with disabilities across the world. The AI for Accessibility program
to projects that build on recent advancements in Microsoft Cognitive Services
and Machine Learning to develop accessible and intelligent AI solutions in any
of our three areas of focus:
we positively impact the employment rate for people with disabilities through
more intelligent technology?
we increase access to technology for people with disabilities while also
decreasing the cost of such technology?
Communication & Connection
AI help improve the speed, accuracy, and convenience of communication for
people with disabilities?
To complete your grant
application form you’ll need to answer the following questions, in addition to
providing organizational details:
- Describe your solution (in less than 4,000 characters)
- Provide a budget plan for developing and/or implementing the AI tools and services needed for your solution (e.g., equipment) (in USD; less than 4,000 characters)
- Deliver an approximate timeline for key project milestones mapped to each deliverable (in less than 4,000 characters)