William Anthony Sperlazza

Office:
Franklin County Environmental Court

Age: 39

Residence: Columbus, OH

Email: Sperlazza4judge@gmail.com

Website: Website: www.sperlazza4judge.com
Facebook: William A. Sperlazza for Judge
Instagram: @Sperlazza4judge

Occupation: Senior Attorney, Columbus City Attorney’s Office

Education: JD from The Ohio State University Michael E. Moritz College of Law, 2006. BA from Youngstown State University, 2003.

Work Experience: Environmental Court Attorney, 2012-present. Prosecutor, 2007-2012. Over 14 years working in the Franklin County Municipal Courthouse. Head Girls Basketball Coach, Thomas Worthington High School. Worthington, Ohio.

Affiliations: Columbus/Central Ohio Building and Construction Trades Council, Central Ohio Labor Council AFL-CIO, Columbus Fire Fighters Union Local 67, Fraternal Order of Police Capital City Lodge #9, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, Columbus Chapter of the Coalition of Labor Union Women, A. Phillip Randolph Institute, AFSCME Ohio Council 8, AFSCME Retiree Chapter 1184, Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 189, Franklin County Democratic Party, Stonewall Democrats of Central Ohio, Ohio Young Democrats.

Family: Two sons, ages 14 and 12.

Bar Association Ratings: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by the Columbus Bar Association. http://www.judgethecandidates.org/candidate/sperlazza.php?fbclid=IwAR2XpH9gZOT01MsQKQVMmK1rB8V6ahXjAkh3kcrk8iXSQW4UUXKQUAYJAGM

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

No judicial experience.

My substantial experience in Environmental Court and my command of the law practiced there makes me an exceptionally qualified candidate for this distinctive judgeship. I would bring a uniquely high level of qualification and experience to the bench. I’ve spent over 14 years practicing law in the Municipal Courthouse, conducting countless jury trials, court trials, and evidentiary hearings. Most importantly I’ve spent the past seven years practicing exclusively in the Environmental Court. I have reviewed, filed, and litigated hundreds of cases in Environmental Court. In addition to advising dozens of municipalities around Ohio on the laws and techniques I’ve used in Environmental Court over the years, I have also been a guest presenter all around Central Ohio, and beyond, lecturing various groups, municipal attorneys, and law enforcement entities, about how we use the Environmental Court to keep our neighborhoods safe. For my work in the Environmental Court I have received several awards over the years, including the Ohio Crime Prevention Association Special Projects Award, the City of Columbus Mayor’s Award of Excellence, the Northland Community Council President’s Award, and the Columbus Division of Police Meritorious Public Service Award.

I have experienced firsthand what this courtroom means to our communities and business districts. The cases I’ve filed in Environmental Court over the past seven years have helped shut down the worst hotels, drug houses, bars, and massage parlors in Central Ohio. I know from hard work and experience that this courtroom is vital to the safety and viability of our neighborhoods and businesses in Franklin County. My passion for the Environmental Court has been fostered by the countless cases I have filed and litigated in it; the types of cases that make our neighborhoods safer. Protecting our neighborhoods is my passion, and I hope to continue that mission as Judge of Environmental Court. For these reasons, I ask for your vote on November 5th.