Max Sutton

Office:
Licking County Municipal Court

Age: 46

Residence: Newark, OH

Email: max@maxsuttonforjudge.com

Website: www.maxsuttonforjudge.com
https://www.facebook.com/MaxSuttonForJudge

Occupation: Attorney

Education: B.A. in Psychology from the University of Notre Dame 1995, J.D. from The Ohio State University 1998

Work Experience: Franklin County Public Defender’s Office 1998 – 2006 (Municipal division from 1998-2005); The Sutton Law Firm 2006 – present

Family: Two sons, ages 14 and 12.

(1) List your judicial experience (courts and years):

I currently serve as an Acting Judge by appointment in the Licking County Municipal Court and have done so since 2011. This is the very seat for which I am seeking. As an Acting Judge, I have heard cases involving domestic violence, violent crimes, drunk driving, and cases involving drug and alcohol addiction, among others. I have sentenced people to probation and jail, presided over trials, probation violation hearings, arraignments, bond hearings, and many others, while working alongside the prosecutors, defense attorneys, probations officers, and the court staff in the Licking County Municipal Court. I have also presided over both OVI Court and Drug Court, our specialized dockets in the Licking County Municipal Court. I have also presided over the eviction cases in Licking County Municipal Court as an Acting Judge and I have handled other civil cases involving debt collection, breach of contract, and personal injury.

Over 20 years ago, I started my legal career practicing exclusively in Municipal Court I have practiced law in front of over 50 different Judges, learning their best practices. I have handled thousands of cases in various Municipal Courts throughout Ohio as an attorney. I have practiced in every Court in Licking County and have travelled to courts throughout central Ohio. I have established a good professional relationship with many attorneys, Judges, and court personnel I also serve as a member of the Licking County Municipal Court’s OVI Court Treatment Team that meets weekly. This is a specialized docket that focuses on providing an intensive structured regiment of treatment to multiple offense OVI offenders. The goal is to give them the tools and resources that will help them maintain long-term sobriety, living healthy, productive lives. My dedication to understanding the nature of addiction and mental health, and how it impacts all of those in the criminal justice system, will help me to be the best Judge I can be. In my daily practice as an attorney, I am in regular contact with families and individuals struggling with alcohol/drug abuse and addiction. I have a passion assisting these individuals to develop the tools that they can use to treat their disease, address their underlying issues, and live healthy, successful lives. I have established a good professional relationship with many Judges, attorneys, and court personnel by being respectful and approachable. I understand that I do not have all the answers; there are many smart, good people doing difficult work on a daily basis, and through a commitment to collaboration, we can help change lives. As important as what I have done, is what I will do. I will treat everyone who walks through the Court with respect and dignity. I work well with others, I welcome constructive criticism, and I genuinely want to be the best Judge I can be, performing a service for the public.

I am running because I want to help change lives. I have been sober from alcohol for over 15 years. Through the help of 12 step meetings, treatment, and the support of family, friends, and colleagues, I was able to change my life. It wasn’t easy but it has been extremely worthwhile and life changing in the most positive of ways. Further, I know the success stories I see as a member of our Court’s OVI Treatment Team people who, sometimes have a lifetime of abusing alcohol or using drugs, can, through intensive court supervision and treatment and a multiple pronged approach, learn to live the same wonderfully imperfect life I have. Therefore, this is not a job for me, nor a desire for power, or positioning for the next campaign. For me this is a personal passion, a calling. I want to be, and have wanted to be for some time, our next Licking County Municipal Court Judge. I have a unique personal experience that is perfectly suited for the position of Licking County Municipal Court Judge. Yes, I have the education, the experience, and commitment; however, most importantly, I have the personal experience of what it feels like to struggle with and overcome the very thing that I as Judge may be asking those that come before me, to overcome and change in their lives. Licking County is also my hometown; I was born and raised right here and I want to be a leader effecting lasting, positive change in the community. I feel our community is moving in the right direction with all of the positive changes we can see. But I know that people still struggle. Every day. I am tired of seeing the destruction that alcohol and drugs has on our individuals and families and I am dedicated to doing my part to help more people overcome this struggle.