Lasheyl N. Stroud

Office: For Judge of the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division
Term Beginning 1/3/2021

Residence: Columbus

Email: LasheylStroudforJudge.com

Website: https://www.lasheylstroudforjudge.com/

Social Media: Facebook.com/StroudforJudge; Twitter.com/StroudforJudge

Occupation: Lead Juvenile Magistrate, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations and Juvenile Branch

Education: J.D. from The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, 2003; B.A. from Kentucky State University, 2000

Work Experience: Lead Magistrate, Franklin County Common Pleas Court, Domestic Relations & Juvenile Branch, (2013-present); Stroud Law Offices (2011-2013; Franklin County Common Pleas Court General Division, Judicial Staff Attorney, (2007-2011); Perez & Morris, Defense Counsel, (2006-2007); Franklin County Common Pleas Court Domestic Relations & Juvenile, Teen Court Hearing Officer (2005-2008); Adjunct Instructor (2008-2014); Attorney General’s Office, Assistant Attorney General, (2004-2007)

Family: Married with two children

Affiliations: Admitted to the practice of law before all Ohio courts, the U.S. District Court of the Southern District of Ohio, the U.S. District Court for the Sixth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court; Member of the Columbus Bar Association, John Mercer Langston Bar Association, the Franklin County Democratic Party, the Franklin County Democratic Lawyers Club, the Matriots, New Covenant Believers’ Church & Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.

Endorsements: Franklin County Democratic Party, Franklin County Young Democrats, Stonewall Democrats of Central Ohio, Columbus Professional Fire Fighters Local 67, Columbus Central Ohio Building and Construction Trades, AFSCME Council 8, CWA Local 4502, Central Ohio Labor Council AFL-CIO and OCSEA

Bar Association Ratings: Highly Recommended by the Columbus Bar Association, 2020

I am currently the Lead Magistrate, Franklin County Common Pleas Court Domestic Relations & Juvenile Division (2013-present). I have extensive litigation experience handling jury trials, bench trials and appellate court cases with approximately half civil and the other half criminal. I serve on a pilot specialty docket to address human trafficking within our community, chair court committees and represent the Court at national conferences to advance juvenile justice. My committee assignments assist the Court in progressive policy and planning, strategy work groups and ensuring that the Court is on the forefront in trends. Serving as a judicial officer, I have had numerous attorneys compliment me for my patience, attentive ear, and overall positive judicial temperament. I routinely ask attorneys for constructive critiques and ask the families about their experiences in my courtroom.

Throughout my twenty years in the Franklin County legal community, my practice was concentrated in the areas of Domestic Relations & Juvenile (DRJ) matters and litigation. I served as a legal intern in DRJ in law school. I have worked part time in the Diversion department as a Teen Court Hearing Officer while litigating full time during the day. I started a law practice to represent children and and parents in Domestic Relations & Juvenile matters as guardian ad litem and attorney. From 2003 to 2006, I was an Assistant Attorney General in Workers’ Compensation where I began litigating civil cases throughout Ohio. In 2006, I was recruited by Perez & Morris to handle product liability, workers’ compensation, immigration and other civil matters, and later left to accept a Staff Attorney position in the General Division of Franklin County Common Pleas Court where I served for four years. As Staff Attorney, I handled civil pretrial conferences, drafted civil and criminal decisions, assisted with managing the docket, and gained inside perspective of a judge’s role in General Division. In 2011, I opened a solo practice that handled civil and criminal cases in the General Division and Domestic Relations & Juvenile Branch.

Community service has allowed me to listen and to learn. I have volunteered at schools to share information about the Franklin County Court System and mentored youth on self-esteem and goal setting. I have also volunteered at churches and civic organizations to support numerous community events. For over 20 years, I have volunteered with Fire Fighters Against Drugs, serving as a tutor and serving meals during the holiday season.

I am qualified to serve for the judicial position for which I am seeking election based on my experience, compassion, passion for families and overall commitment to the mission of the Domestic Relations and Juvenile Court. My body of work demonstrates that I have the ability and qualifications to effectively fulfill the requirements of the office and serve in excellence. I am active in court committees and consistently go beyond the call of duty to serve as the Lead Magistrate. I am knowledgeable about the mission of Domestic Relations and Juvenile Court and have consistently served families in Franklin County in Domestic Relations and Juvenile Court for over a decade. If elected, I am able to assume the role and fulfill the duties without any delays in justice.