Lisa L. Sadler

Office: For Judge of the Tenth District Court of Appeals
Term Beginning 7/1/2021

Residence: Gahanna

Email: info@judgesadler.com

Website: judgesadler.com

Social Media: fb/Judge Lisa Sadler

Occupation: Judge, Tenth District Court of Apeals

Education: Juris Doctor from Capital University Law School; Bachelor of Science and Social Welfare from The Ohio State University (graduated cum laude)

Work Experience: Judge since 1992 – elected Tenth District Court of Appeals Judge, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Judge and Franklin County Municipal Court Judge. Served as Assistant Columbus City Prosecutor and Assistant Columbus City Attorney, and served as Deputy Chief Legal Counsel to Governor George V. Voinovich.

Family: Married with 1 adult child

Affiliations: 
Member, Maryhaven Board of Directors, Franklin County Women Lawyers, and Mentor in Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program; Member of The United Methodist Church; Past Member, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio, and MRDD Task Force; Past Board Member Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center Advisory Board, and Prevent Blindness Ohio.

Endorsements: Plumbers & Pipefitters Local Union 189; International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 18; Fraternal Order of Police, Capital City Lodge #9; Columbus/Central Ohio Building and Construction Trades Council; Ohio AFL-CIO; Teamsters Local Union No. 284; Teamsters Local Union No. 413

Bar Association Ratings: In the Columbus Bar Association 2020 Judicial Preference Poll, I was voted the “preferred” candidate by a vote of 72.6% to 27.4%. I also earned the highest rating of “Highly Recommended” from the 2020 Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee and am the only candidate in this race to receive this rating.

The Columbus Bar Association 2020 Performance Poll rated my judicial performance as judge on the Tenth District Court of Appeals at an overall rating of 4.28/5 (average appellate judge rating 3.97/5), earning me the honor of tying for the second highest rating on the Court. I’ve received the Rating of “Highly Recommended” by the Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee each time I have appeared before the Committee -’93, ’96, ’00, ’02 & ’08.

Other: “Highly Recommended” by the Central Ohio Association For Justice

• Judge, Tenth District Court of Appeals, July 2003 – Present
• Judge, Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, March 1996 – July 2003
• Judge, Franklin County Municipal Court, May 1992 – March 1996
• Appointed by the Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court to serve as a Visiting Judge on the Ohio Supreme Court, as well as other Ohio Courts of Appeals 2004 – Present

My legal career began in the Franklin County Municipal Court as an Assistant Columbus City Prosecutor where I prosecuted traffic and misdemeanor cases, such as OVI and domestic violence. As a prosecutor, I was assigned to various courtrooms and tried both jury and court trials. I had the responsibility of managing a trial docket and reviewing the evidence in each case I was assigned. I interviewed victims, police and civilian witnesses, and engaged in pre-trial preparation and case negotiations.

I transferred to the Litigation Section of the Civil Division of the Columbus City Attorneys Office where I represented the City of Columbus and its employees in complex litigation in both state and federal court. My responsibilities included conducting trials and appellate work in both state and federal courts. I have argued cases before the Tenth District Court of Appeals and The Ohio Supreme Court. I also conducted arbitrations and served as counsel for the License Section, Department of Public Service.

My final legal position before becoming Judge was serving as Deputy Chief Legal Counsel in the Office of the Governor. My responsibilities included management duties over the Office of Chief Legal Counsel which provided research and rendered opinions and guidance on issues in state government as directed by Governor George V. Voinovich. I also coordinated litigation matters involving the Governors Office with the Ohio Attorney Generals Office.

I remain active and dedicated to improving the practice of law. I have served on numerous committees in both the Columbus Bar Association as well as the Ohio State Bar Association. Some of my past service includes serving as Co-Chair to both the Ohio Judicial College Bench Bar Retreat and to the OSBA Jury Instruction Committee. I served on the Commission on Rules of Practice and Procedure and the Ohio Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Case Management and Appellate Time Line Guidelines. I am a long-time member of the Columbus Bar Association Admission Committee and have mentored scores of young attorneys.

The above depiction of my non-judicial legal experience, including my service to professional legal organizations, showcases my dedication to the legal profession and to public service. My wide-ranging non-judicial experience, combined with my extensive experience as both a trial and appellate judge uniquely qualifies me to continue to serve the citizens of Franklin County as an Appellate Judge on the Tenth District Court of Appeals.

I am proud to serve Franklin County as Judge on the Tenth District Court of Appeals and am running for re-election. In 2002, the voters of Franklin County elected me to serve them as an appellate judge, and I have served in that capacity since 2003.

The Tenth District Court of Appeals hears appeals from all divisions of the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, the Franklin County Municipal Court, the Franklin County Probate Court, and the Ohio Court of Claims, as well as numerous state agencies and licensing boards. The Tenth District Court of Appeals also has original jurisdiction over multiple types of extraordinary writs. Because the Supreme Court of Ohio accepts only limited discretionary appeals from appellate courts throughout the state, the Tenth District Court of Appeals is the court of last resort for the vast majority of cases it decides. Therefore, it is important to have the utmost trust and confidence in appellate judges.

I have served Franklin County as a Judge for over 27 years. This experience includes 11 years of judicial experience as a judge presiding over jury trials in both criminal and civil cases, and over 16 years as appellate judge on the Tenth District Court of Appeals ruling on the complex cases described above.

During my tenure as appellate judge, I have been appointed by the Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court to hear and decide cases as a Visiting Judge on the Oho Supreme Court, as well as other appellate courts across the state. My extensive judicial experience, combined with serving as Administrative and Presiding Judge of the Tenth District Court of Appeals, uniquely qualifies me to continue to serve as appellate judge.

I have earned a reputation for being fair and impartial, for following the Rule of Law, and for treating all who appear before me with dignity and respect. I have a proven record for efficiently deciding cases and I have earned the respect of those who come before the Court, as demonstrated by the rating of “Highly Recommended” from the Columbus Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee – a rating I have earned each time I have appeared before the Committee. I enjoy serving Franklin County as an appellate judge and take pride in ensuring equal justice to all litigants. If re-elected, I will continue to ensure the fair and efficient administration of justice for all.