Margaret Scott

Office: For Judge of the Summit County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division
Term Beginning 1/4/2021

Party Affiliation: Democrat

Residence: Copley

Email: margaretscottforjudge@gmail.com

Website: http://margaretscottforjudge.com

Social Media: www.facebook.com/ChiefMagistrateMargaretScott

Occupation: Chief Magistrate

Education:  J.D. from Ohio Northern University, B.A. from Marshall University

Work Experience: 
criminal and civil lawyer since 1994

Family: 1 child

Affiliations: Community Action Akron Summit; Akron Bar Foundation; Barberton Noon Kiwanis; Summit County Opiate Task Force; Ohio Association of Magistrates; Copley-Fairlawn PTSA; NAACP; Montrose Zion United Methodist Church; Copley-Fairlawn All Sports Booster Club

Endorsements: Operative Plasterers and Cement Masons Local 109; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union #306; Barberton City Councilwoman (Ward 5) Joyce Coburn; Pastor Gregory Harrison

Bar Association Ratings: 

I was appointed as a Magistrate with the Summit County Domestic Relations Court in 2018 and promoted to Chief Magistrate in January of 2020. During this time I have resolved hundreds of cases involving very important matters for the families in our community including temporary orders, child custody and companionship time, child support, spousal support, grandparent rights, paternity, property issues, contempt and domestic violence/dating violence civil protection orders. I speak throughout the community on different topics which concern the families our Court serves including our innovative Court programming and grandparent rights.

I have over 25 years of experience practicing law. Over the course of my career I have resolved thousands of cases including everything from routine traffic matters to aggravated murder. A judge must not only know the law and how to apply it but must also have the temperament to help families in crisis by being firm, fair and understanding. Prior to becoming a Magistrate, I spent 16 years fighting for crime victims as an assistant prosecuting attorney. My previous representation of individuals in criminal and civil matters gives me the experience and problem-solving skills that are necessary to make timely, legally sound decisions while showing compassion for all parties involved.

I have dedicated my career to public service and helping the families in our community. I am passionate about helping families in crisis find solutions that will lead to better outcomes for everyone involved. During my time as a Magistrate I have resolved hundreds of cases, many of which involve difficult and complex issues. I listen impartially to the individuals who appear in front of me and rule upon their cases in a manner that is fair and compassionate. I understand that the majority of the litigants who appear in my courtroom are very good people who are going through an extremely stressful time in their lives. It is my hope that I have the privilege of continuing to serve the families of Summit County as your next Domestic Relations Court judge.