Michael A. Oster Jr.

Office: For Judge of the Butler County Court of Common Pleas, General Division
Term Beginning 2/9/2021

Residence: West Chester

Email: 

Website: 

Social Media: 

Occupation: Judge, Court of Common Pleas

Education: J.D. University of Cincinnati College of Law, with Honors; B.A. Malone College

Work Experience: 2015-Present – Judge, Court of Common Pleas; (2019-2020 Administrative Judge), (2017-Present – Veterans Treatment Court Judge).

Family: Married with 2 Children

Affiliations: Head Varsity Soccer Coach, Monroe High School; Butler County Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, Ohio Judicial Conference, Ohio Common Pleas Judges Association, Member of the Supreme Court of Ohio Commission on CLE, Member of the Supreme Court of Ohio Advisory Committee on Case Management, Ohio Judicial Conference’s Criminal Law and Procedure Committee, Specialized Docket Committee, and Court Administration Committee. Volunteer with the Special Olympics.

Endorsements: Butler County Republican Party

Bar Association Ratings: 

Judge, Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division, 2015-present. Elected by fellow judges to serve as Administrative Judge of the Butler County Common Pleas Court, General Division, 2019-2020. In addition to regular duties, presided over the Butler County Common Pleas Court, Veterans Treatment Court, 2017-present. This is the first Veterans Treatment Court, at the Common Pleas level, in Butler County history.

I was admitted to the practice of law in November, 2003. Upon being admitted, I immediately began working as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney for Butler County. After working for about 4.5 months in the Juvenile Division, I was promoted to the Appellate Division of the prosecutors office. In 2007, after only about 3.5 years in the Appellate Division, I was named the Chief of the Appellate Division for the prosecutor’s office. I remained the Chief of the Appellate Division until I took the bench in February, 2015.

During my tenure at the prosecutor’s office, I was able to argue 10 times before the Supreme Court of Ohio, tried multiple capital murder cases, and was one of only two attorneys in the nation to be awarded the Board of Directors’ Appellate Award for Outstanding Advocacy in Capital Cases in 2011-2012 from The Association of Government Attorneys in Capital Litigation (AGACL).

The experience in the prosecutors office greatly prepared my for my role as a Judge. For example, because the Court of Common Pleas is the trial court, it is important to note that I have successfully tried the most difficult and complex cases that arise in the Common Pleas Court, capital murder cases. Not only are these cases legally complex, but a defendant is given a heightened level of Due Process. It is in these cases where a trial Judge is truly challenged to satisfy their role and ensure justice for all. My experience in prosecuting three capital murder trials, while also being nationally awarded for my work on capital murder cases, will allow me to exceptionally satisfy even the most difficult role that a Judge will have in the criminal justice system. I am uniquely qualified in this way.

I am choosing to seek re-election to my judicial seat to have a continued impact on the community, serve the public, and become the first line of defense to the Constitution. All Judges should strictly adhere to and follow the Constitution. This is accomplished when a Judge strictly reads the Constitution without adding, subtracting, or modifying this seminal document. Any Judge that deviates from the Constitution or attempts to change the law to their whims must be reversed.

As a Common Pleas Court Judge, I will serve the public and will strictly protect the Constitution as written. Finally, I wish to continue the work with Veterans. It has been my unique Honor to work with and aid our Veterans, and when re-elected, I will continue this important work.