Fleischer and Newhall Help Produce Documentary
Victor Fleischer in Archival Services and Jamie Newhall in Design & Development Services helped produce a documentary film last fall. Titled “Lost Voices of the Great War: Summit County in the First World War,” the film recounts the story of Summit County residents’ experiences at home and overseas during the “War to End All Wars.” The documentary aired on PBS 45/49 last fall and can be seen online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM5BoFr-ov4&feature=youtu.be. DVD copies can also be checked out at Bierce Library.
Fleischer served as researcher, writer, and co-producer, while Newhall served as editor and filmed much of the reenactment footage that appeared in the film. The documentary was produced in partnership with Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens.
Nicely done, Vic & Jamie!
On Friday, April 20, 2018, Wendy Lampner, Manager of Design & Development Services, received an award from The School of Social Work. They inducted her into the Phi Alpha National Honor Society as an honorary member to thank her for her efforts in helping them put their courses online.
Nicely done, Wendy!
Based on feedback gathered during space study surveys in the Spring, we’ve updated and upgraded several services and programs for students this fall.
- MakerStudio Move Relocated to the ground floor of Bierce, the expanded MakerStudio is a great place to explore and work collaboratively
- Media Collection Featured on First Floor Browse the DVDs, CDs and newspapers in their new location in the first floor Learning Commons in Bierce
- Refreshed Study Rooms Each study room in Bierce got a new coat of paint and freshly cleaned carpets
- New Equipment for Lending More calculators, cameras, tripods, and fresh laptops for checkout
- New Furniture One person tables and new chairs for quiet individual study on the 3rd floor of Bierce and bean bags on the ground floor. Plus four mobile whiteboards on the 2nd and 3rd floor.
- New Lockers at the Science and Technology Library. Program your own code and use one of the nine lockers throughout the day.
- New Learning Management System Brightspace, formerly Springboard, is our upgraded web-based course management system.
- New Series of Events Gather @ the Library is a series of events curated by the University Libraries. Weekly events range from workshops and author talks to discussions.
We’re launching the Gather @ the Library series this Fall. This is a series of events curated by the University Libraries to help campus share strategies, progress and companionship all in a low-stress environment. Weekly events will feature workshops, author talks, and discussions.
Check out the line-up: GatherFall2017
Steve Kaufman from the University Libraries’ Design and Development Services has been selected to participate in the Open Textbook Network Summer Institute and Summit as one of our regional OhioLINK representatives. He will be part of a state-wide leadership team promoting the use of open texts and open educational resources. Seven regional reps will be attending the institute, and when they return will provide excellent coverage for train-the-trainer workshops and related activities in support of this initiative.
See more about OhioLINK’s OTN intiative.
See more about how institutions, including UA, are promoting textbook affordability.