2013/2014 Professional Accomplishments
We are pleased to acknowledge our colleagues for their professional endeavors during the 2013/2014 fiscal year.
Assistant Professor of Bibliography
Life and Allied Health Services Librarian
Science and Technology Library
Chojnacki, Bonnie and Ronald F. White. 2013. “The BRCA Gene Patents: Arguments Over Patentability and Social Utility.” World Medical and Health Policy 5 (3): 276-300.
PRESENTATIONS – NATIONAL
American Political Science Association. Chicago, IL. 2013.
Association of Politics and the Life Sciences. Lubbock, TX. 2013.
Co-Coordinator, Buzz Spector, “Thoughts as Pages, Stacks as Memories”
Akron AAUP Departmental Liaison, University Libraries
Akron AAUP Executive Committee, Member-at-Large
Akron AAUP Delegate, State of Higher Education National Meeting and Collective Bargaining Congress
Science & Technology Merit Guidelines Revision Committee
Medical Library Association, Collection Development Section, Nominating Committee
Special Library Association, Biomedical and Life Sciences Division, Ethics Ambassador
Head, Archival Services
- “Aerial Ambassadors: The Goodyear Blimp in Myth & Memory.” Hiram Historical Society (Hiram, Ohio, April 30, 2014). Provided a brief history of the Goodyear Blimp highlighting historic images and artifacts from the collections of The University of Akron Archival Services.
- “The Keys to Collections Storage: Problems, Solutions, and Outcomes.” Ohio Museums Association Conference 20×20 Keynote/Plenary Session (Athens, Ohio, June 7, 2014). Presented on best practices for the storage of museum and archival collections.
- “It’s Not My Story, Why Should I Care?” Ohio Museums Association Conference (Athens, Ohio, June 7, 2014). Presented with Dr. Sharon Dean (Ohio Historical Society) and Ashley Jordan (National African-American Museum and Cultural Center) on promoting collections and stories that document underrepresented segments of the community.
- “This is Akron with Opie Evans: The Rubber City as Seen through the Lens of One of Its Earliest African-American Photographers,” Dr. Shirla R. McClain Gallery of Akron’s Black History & Culture, The University of Akron, 2014
- “Akron at War!: The Rubber City in World War II,” Bierce Library, The University of Akron, 2013
- “Remembering the Shenandoah: The Life and Death of America’s First Rigid Airship,” The Akron History Museum at Lock 3, 2013
- Board Member and Secretary, The Preservation Alliance of Greater Akron, re-elected, 2014
- Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board Grant in the amount of $1,980 to digitize and make available online technical reports from the Daniel Guggenheim Airship Institute Records at The University of Akron Archival Services, 2013
Michelle J Mascaro
UL Electronic Services
-Co-winner of the David B. Gracy II award, for article “Faster Digital Output: Using Student Workers to Create Metadata for a Grant-Funded Project,” that appeared in 2012 issue of the journal Provenance.
-Appointment to the DCRM-RDA Revision Title and Statement of Responsibility Task Group
-Co-presenting at ALAO TEDSIG and SCAIG spring workshop “What is that and how do I catalog it!?! RDA and Special Formats Cataloging” June 11, 2014 in Columbus, Ohio.
Joseph A. Salem, Jr.
Head, Research & Learning Services
Interim Head, Access Services
Joseph A. Salem, Jr. “Assessment Roundtable Discussion.” Academic Library Association of Ohio Annual Conference. Canton, OH, October 25, 2013.
Kenneth J. Burhanna, Joseph A. Salem, Jr., and Jennifer Schwelik. “New Trails for TRAILS: The Path to Reliability & Validity. Ohio Educational Library Media Association Annual Conference. Sandusky, OH, October 18, 2013.
(My contribution: 50%).
Michael P Tosko
UL Research & Learning Services
“Academic Charts Online: International Popular Music.” Booklist 110.2 (2013): 55-.
“American Sports: A History of Icons, Idols, and Ideas.” Reference & User Services Quarterly 53.3 (2014): 272-3.
“Battles that Changed American History: 100 of the Greatest Victories and Defeats.” Booklist 110.17 (2014): 85-.
“Berkshire Encyclopedia of World Sport. 3rd Ed.” Booklist 110.4 (2013): 34-.
“The Chronicle of Jazz.” Booklist 110.12 (2014): 40-.
“Encyclopedia of Japanese American Internment.” Booklist 110.2 (2013): 50-.
“Historical Dictionary of Ice Hockey.” Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 51.1 (2013): 40-.
“Historical Dictionary of Ireland.” Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 51.9 (2014): 1570-.
“The Literature of Autobiographical Narrative.” Booklist 1 Dec.
The Literature of Propaganda. Booklist 1 Dec. (2013): 809.
“The Manifesto in Literature.” Booklist 1, Dec. (2013): 809.
“Music in American Life: An Encyclopedia of the Songs, Styles, Stars, and Stories that Shaped our Culture.” Booklist 110.11 (2014): 48-.
“St. James Literature of Society.” Booklist 110.7 (2013): 41-.
“Vietnam War: The Essential Reference Guide.” Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries 50.11 (2013): 1996-.
“The Wiley-Blackwell Companion to Cultural Geography. 2nd Ed.” Booklist 110.1 (2013): 63-.